Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:32:23 -0400
Gery,

A high SWR won't prevent you from hearing things.  Transmitters are much
more picky about what they like to see in an antenna than receivers are.
For example, you could use a 50-foot piece of wire for a receive antenna and
get good results, but that same piece of wire might not work at all for
transmitting.  Also, it's important to operate on the band for which the
antenna was designed.  A 10-meter vertical won't work on 40 or 75.  Also,
the type of ground you have can make a huge difference.  In fact, if your
radio isn't connected to a real ground, that may be your problem.  The best
ground is one or more rods driven into the ground at least three feet.  In
this case deeper is better, and two rods are better than one, etc.  You
should avoid using the ground connection on an outlet because it may or may
not be connected to a good ground.

Steve