From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:36:58 -0500

    I just thought I would mention this for whomever it can help.--
    In addition to the 3 of us being celiac or gluten intolerant, my
husband is
also allergic to all grains/grasses including rice, corn, etc.  He has been
able to tolerate buckwheat without a problem.  I use it for breadings on
fried chicken or fish, to thicken gravy and even to bake with.   It raises
well with baking soda or powder, some with yeast, if the recipe has eggs.
The flavor is bland and unobjectionable, and it cooks in about the same
time as my wheat recipes.  It is a light powdery flour and the baked
goods hold together better than rice flour batter does and does not dry
out as fast.  It also worked well for apple crisp.

    We have been buying light buckwheat flour from
www.thebirkettmills.com
The Birkett Mills
163 Main Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
315-536-3311

    We bought a couple of 2 pound bags mailorder from the
website to make sure my husband  could tolerate it, and we liked it.
Then I called on the phone to ask if we could buy it in bulk.
They shipped me a 50 pound bag  including UPS shipping for
about $45.  You have to call on the phone for bulk because
the bulk bag is not on the website.  Next time I would
also suggest they put it in a box instead of just another bag to protect
the paper bag because the outer bag was torn, but the inside was ok.

    They assured me on the phone, and it is stated on the website that
the mill only processes buckwheat, and they are apparently
the biggest processor of buckwheat in the US.

    I have no financial interest in this but we are happy customers.

Paula in Pa.