From:
Ryan Daulton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Daulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:52:03 -0400

I am 30 years old, male, and I have been battling food allergies for the past
four years.  I have assumed until now that I have Celiac Disease because my
symptoms and contagents are so varied.

I am extremely sensitive to wheat, flour, barley, teriyaki and soy sauce.  But I
also react (slightly less severe) to Campbells soups (which contain flour),
garnishes, dairy, gravies, and basically everything a Celiac is allergic to.

These are all of the symptoms I initially experienced four years ago due to my
food allergies:
extreme diarrhea
abdominal cramping/bloating/distention
anemia
appetite changes
decreased ability to clot blood
dehydration
fatigue
passing gas
cracked lips
muscle cramping
osteoporosis
pain in bones and joints
foul smelling stools
very dry skin
weakness
weight loss (50 pounds in 6 months time)
depression (nightmares)
irritability
nose bleeds
elevated body temperature and heart rate

Now that I have been avoiding gluten as much as possible for the past two
years I only experience slight cramping, anemia, decreased blood clotting,
osteoporisis, depression, elevated body and heart rate, and nose bleeds when
I accidentally eat gluten.

And it is not just types of food but quantity.  I have noticed that if I eat too
much of even a safe food, that I begin to have the same symptoms as when I
eat gluten.

Having said this, I just received test results from Prometheus testing for both
the HLA-DQ2/8 and HLA DQB1 genes and both were negative.  This means
that if I have CD, there is only 5% chance.  And I have had the stool test and
blood test done several times, which have also been negative.

What does this mean I may have?  IBS?  A doctor friend of mine said that the
food sensitivity and number of symptoms I have does not seem to match the
IBS profile.  What do you think?  Could this be caused by something else?

I also have another medical condition which is a benign tumor blocking my
pituitary gland and also thyroid levels.  But I have been taking medicine now
for one year to correct the thyroid level so that it has been normal.  My mom
said she has heard of a blocked pituitary causing many problems.

The tumor has shrunk partly but is still rather large.  Could this be the cause
of some of these symptoms?  And I am positive that none of my medicines or
supplements are causing the gluten-symptoms because they began long
before I started taking these.  Also because my doctor asked me to go on a
gluten challenge for 5 days which I was naive enough to try.

So other than IBS and CD, are there any other possible explanations?

*******
*******