THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2005 10:02:06 -0700
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/11745452.htm

Posted on Sun, May. 29, 2005
Medical Edge
Thyroid can raise levels of cholesterol

Dear Mayo Clinic: I have been diagnosed with abnormally high cholesterol and a deficiency of the thyroid hormone thyroxine. Can you tell me whether that deficiency might be the cause of my cholesterol problem? Either way, what steps can I take to reduce it? – Steilacoom, Wash.

Answer: An abnormally high cholesterol level in the blood can be brought about by various factors. The primary cause is genetic: Some people inherit this tendency from family members. There are also secondary causes, i.e., “the three Ds” – diseases (such as diabetes or hypothyroidism), certain drugs (such as corticosteroids) or diet (high fat content) – which, consequentially or secondarily, produce abnormally high cholesterol levels. Before determining a cholesterol treatment plan for a patient, I always look for these kinds of secondary causes.

You also have an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). With the production of too little thyroxine – a hormone that, among other basic functions, controls how your body uses fats and carbohydrates – abnormally high cholesterol levels can occur. Other symptoms of hypothyroidism include constipation; an increased sensitivity to cold; pale, dry skin; and a hoarse voice.

Although some cholesterol is vital to the structure and function of the body, excess amounts can cause fatty deposits (plaques) to build up in the blood vessels, eventually narrowing arteries, impeding blood flow and preventing oxygen-rich blood from getting to vital organs. High cholesterol can increase your risk of heart attack and stroke, for example.

When a patient has a secondary cause of high cholesterol (such as you, with hypothyroidism), we treat that condition first, aiming to reduce or even eliminate both problems at the same time.

Standard treatment for an underactive thyroid involves taking a daily pill containing the synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxine (brand names include Levothroid and Synthroid). This medication restores adequate thyroid hormone levels, shifting your body back into a normal state. It might take a little trial and error to determine your correct dosage of levothyroxine, but once established, the dosage tends to remain stable. You will generally need to be checked with a thyroid blood test just once or twice a year.

Thyroid replacement treatment will very likely reduce your cholesterol level; it almost always does among hypothyroidism patients. If the reduction is insufficient, however, then the cholesterol problem should be addressed in the usual way: 1) lifestyle changes, such as eating a low-fat diet and increasing amounts of exercise; and 2) taking a cholesterol-lowering (statin) drug such as atorvastatin or simvastatin (brand names are Lipitor and Zocor).

Your doctor can best advise you on how to proceed through each successive step, if appropriate.

– Scott C. Litin, M.D., General Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

 http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/11745452.htm

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.