THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:14:36 EST
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >Since then, the panicky feeling has gone away, but I
> >am peeing every hour, am exceptionally thirsty, and
> >gained 6 pounds literally overnight.

I didn't see this until Doc Don sent an answer.  I just wanted to mention
something in regard to it.    Doc Don mentioned the adrenals, and that may be a
link to your problem.

The literature for Synthroid and other thyroid meds states that low adrenal
function should be treated first.  The problem is many doctors don't recognize
adrenal insufficency short of Addison's Disease.  Addison's is not generally
recognized until someone shows up in the emergency room in adrenal crises.  The
doctors who know about adrenal insufficiency short of Addison's typically
start a patient on hydrocortisone a few days before starting thyroid meds to
avoid problems.   In some cases the hydrocortisone needs to be continued
indefinitely, in other cases the adrenals are low because they simply need more thyroid
hormone and the patient only needs to supplement for a short time.

I have mild adrenal insufficieny.  One of the symptoms that went away when I
started on hydrocortisone was frequent urination.  This was whether or not I
drank any water, it was just a little worse when I did, I felt like the water
was passing through without giving my cells any water.

So, the thyroid meds may be addressing only a part of the problem, and if you
do have low adrenals, it's not easy to find a doctor to treat.

Skipper

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.