THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:06:16 EST
I have had to fire and get fired by many doctors who are incompetent
regarding "not by their books" thyroid hormone problems.   (We are going through an
insurance change at work, and I need to work things out before returning to the
doctor I want.)

My TSH ranges between .0002 and .0006.  Yes, three zeros to the right of the
decimal.  The doctors could not understand why I had no hyper symptoms.  And
when I was deprived of my thyroid meds I developed all kinds of hypothyroid
symptoms, some of which have caused permanent damage.  (It also became dangerous
for me to drive because my blood sugar dropped so low so fast, and I'm not on
insulin.)  As Doc Don was able to demonstrate, I was not converting T4 to T3
very well, and much of the conversion was to Reverse T3, which did me no good.
That was consistent with my symptoms.  If the prior docs had it their way, I
would be comatose or dead before my TSH ever went up to anything they would
accept.  It did not go up even when I was extremely hypo from T3 deprivation.

If other professionals stuck only with what they learned in school, they's
lose their business and/or credibility.  I can't even list all the things I've
had to learn about my job profession since I graduated from the last grad
school.  Some things I was taught in biological sciences in undergrad college (a
long time ago) turned out to be wrong.  (I remember arguing that my experiment
results contradicted the text, while the rest of the class agreed with the
text.  I was right in the long run.)   Unfortunately, pharmaceutical companies
provide most of the so-called ongoing education that a lot of doctors receive.

A sign of intelligence is the ability to ask questions and keep looking for
the answers.

Peg

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.