THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:27:55 EDT
> From:   [log in to unmask]
>

> Actually, it was Skipper who suggested the diagnosis because the patient we
> discussed was "part Irish and part Native American." I recall the beginnings
> of
> a Migraine when I heard that, but I took his advice and looked into the
> topic
> further. The "Doctor's Manuel for Wilson's Syndrome" spells it all out in
> logical detail. The rest is history and this is a much better theoretical
> model
> than what is taught in Med School.

Yes, I debated whether Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome was quackery for a few
years.  Wilson's site in fact answered all my questions as to what my wife's
problem was one of the first times I was even on the Internet back in 1996.  I even
sent a printout to my family doctor since my wife seemed to fit the
description perfectly.  I had been diagnosed as hypothyroid, but couldn't have told you
any of my symptoms except fatigue.  Wilson listed a ton of symptoms in a chart
on his site, and it was as if she had almost every symptom there.  She was
also the right nationality.

After years of knowing she had a thyroid problem because of that, just not
being sure if Wilson's was quackery or regular hypothyroidism treated
differently, we set up an appointment with Doc Don.  I'm sure I mentioned the
probability of Wilson's Syndrome at that time.  However, he wasn't sure whether it was
quackery or not either.  But, as he increased her thyroid dosage, and every
increase seemed to be effective only for a few weeks, Joan McPhee saw a few of my
postings and sent me a paper by Richard Alford, MD.  In it, he mentioned that
in some patients, it took quite a lof of Armour to compensate for reverse T3.
 He had to put one patient up to 12 grains to compensate.  Well, my wife was
up to 18 grains and I think she could have kept going up indefinitely without
affecting pulse or blood pressure, to extremely important indicators of over
treatment.  (Her pulse went from 100+ to somewhere around 70, so it appeared
she was actually less hyper.  Ray Peat, a biochemist, claimed that in some
patients the heart rate is greatly accelerated because the adrenals put out
adrenaline to compensate for the low thyroid, and the pulse rate can be quite high.
So, I suspect the Armour reduced her output of adrenaline.  Her blood pressure
also decreased to normal.)

Anyways, researching reverse T3 on the Internet along with the high levels of
cortisol she seemed to have on testing, I once again came back to Wilson's
Syndrome.  High cortisol causes too much T4 to turn into reverse T3 instead of
active T3.

So, I had logical reasons to think Wilson's treatment might work, and
fortunate enough to have a doctor who was willing to try.

She did the cycles and felt better.  However, unlike some, (possibly because
her cortisol still seems to run high), she has to stay on a maintenance dose
of timed release T3.  But, I consider her thyroid treatment to make her 100%
normal.  And she no longer has high blood pressure, fast resting pulse rate,
asthma, life threatening allergies, and many other problems.

Skipper

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]