THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:28:28 EST
Hi, everyone.

I've appreciated learning from everyone on the list.  My own experience is so
unlike everyone's that I'm embarrassed to ask this.  But...you all are
talking about switching to this med, or changing the dosage of that med; and quoting
your test results, etc.

* My Dr. has tested me only three times in the past 4 years, and orders the
basic thyroid panel.  Results are always "called in to me" by the
nurse..."You're doing fine...all within normal range."

* He placed me on Synthroid .125 four years ago, and has never adjusted the
dosage.

* I've seen my weight go up-up-up, my memory get worse, my achiness get
worse, and my fogginess get worse.  I'm too tired all the time to delve into
figuring out what to do, or finding another doctor.

* I'm needing to go in again to get my Synthroid re-prescribed...God...I'm
just like a cow moving through the chute, just because the rancher pointed me in
that direction!!!  I'm sick of being sick.  Being 52, and perimenopausal, I
don't know what is happening...but feel everything is out of whack.  I want
some "fun" back in my life.  For the past 20 years, I feel I've morphed into a
person I don't even know, and suspect my hypothyroid onset happened after the
birth of my son.

1) - Please tell me...What exact tests should I ask for (or, maybe demand)
that would give me a thorough picture of what is going on with me?  I've heard
of the basic thyroid panel, but then I've heard some talk of antibody testing
and reverse-t3?  Cortisol, and hormone levels, you name it.  I just want to get
a complete baseline on myself.  But I want to be able to tell him WHAT and
WHY I need it...

2) - I've come across a couple of Laboratory sites on the internet, and you
can order all kinds of lab tests that way...some in a package deal.  Not sure
how that works....since a blood test/thyroid panel usually is taken out of the
arm.  Has anyone done this, just to have all the results and summaries to
present your regular Dr., who won't order these?

Rosemary

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.