From:
Connie Maltin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Maltin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:51:22 -0500

Thank you for all the responses already about eggnog.  I have had 5
people say that rum (which is GF) makes the best eggnog and the
flavor is better with the drink.  There was one response to use corn
bourbon or spiced rum.  Several people have written back to state
that the gluten is removed in the distilling process for whiskey, and
I received one delicious sounding recipe.
   Thank you to everyone -- I am definately looking forward to trying
the recipe and enjoying some holiday spirits at a party later today.

Whiskey should be fine.  The gluten doesn't pass through to the
whiskey after the distillation process.  But my vote would be egg nog
with rum.  Sounds delicious!

All distilled products (liquor, whiskey, vinegar, etc.) are gluten-
free with rare
exceptions when there are additives, such as:  Malt Vinegar - where
Malt is
added to the Vinegar AFTER the Distillation process.

As to Eggnog - the primary concern is any type of thickener that may
be added.

Whiskey is gf, but for me it would be the last choice of alcohol to
put in eggnog. The flavor just
seems wrong, somehow. (editorial comment--The stuff that comes in a
container in the dairy section
of the supermarket bears only a faint resemblance to real eggnog, so
whatever alcohol one adds can
only make it more palatable.)

I've been using this recipe for the last 5 years. It's rich & light
at the same time, and will
forever ruin all commercial eggnogs for you.

Eggnog (1 serving)

1 egg, separated
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 c cream
1/8 to 1/4 c rum or brandy
a few grains of salt

Beat egg yolk untl light & creamy. Beat sugar, cream, alcohol and
salt in slowly. Whip egg white
until stiff & fold into other ingredients. Serve in mug or punch glass.