From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 22:10:35 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Here is another Expandex experimental bread that came out unexpectedly good.
There are two versions, one for the bread eaters that prefer a lighter and
more fluffy loaf, and the other for those that want more protein and
substance. Both are relatively low in fat and rely on only the fat in the
flax meal. You can add more fat in the form of olive oil if you like.

I have a pet peeve. Many gluten-free bread recipes contain quite a bit of
fat. And why not? Fat improves the texture, masks the dryness and tastes
good. But, it is no wonder that it is hard to maintain one's weight. When
you look at the food labels for offending wheat, barley and rye contents,
also look at the dietary fat. Some of these foods are nutritionally really
rich in eggs, oil or butter. This is the first of my lower-fat bread
recipes. But, now I'll get off of my soap box.

Here is the home page of the site: http://home.comcast.net/bread . Look for
the <NEW> flag, and click Experiment-11. Many people have said it is hard to
get Expandex. I have it on good authority that either your Whole Foods
Market has Expandex in stock or can get it. Ask the manager to order: 2#
Tapioca Starch –     37973 from Heartland's Finest.

I've been asked if the breads can be made without Expandex. The answer is
probably YES, but I haven't tried. I suggest you use tapioca flour instead
of Expandex. Expandex is tapioca flour that has been chemically changed.
You'll also want to use 1 teaspoon of Guar or Xanthan gum per cup of flour
in the recipe if you don't use Expandex. You will see that in the newest
recipes I have been able to cut the gums in half, and it may be possible to
reduce the gums even more. What is the advantage of Expandex: I think the
bread has more stretch, more flexibility and doesn't get as hard as quickly.
I also am not a fan of rice flour - brown or white - and think breads made
of rice flour get very hard very quickly. But that is my opinion and you are
free to disagree (but you don't need to disagree by email, please).

I understand that our Australian Mates have had difficulty locating white
sorghum flour. If this is the case, let me suggest jowar which is supposed
to be the same plant, seed and flour with just a different name. I often get
questions about Expandex and if I am paid to promote it. The answers are (1)
the bread home page describes Expandex, and (2) no, I don't get paid for
either promoting or being a baker. I am an eCommerce product manager and an
enthusiastic experimenter.

By the way, the recipe for amaranth-flax bread is not entirely original. You
will see a credit to the cook for a somewhat similar recipe. I kept the
proportion of amaranth and flax about the same in my recipe as hers.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA