Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:21:36 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Heidi Schuppenhauer <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I received quite a few responses on this one. Most to thank me for the
information, it would help in making future decisions (which was my
goal). I should also point out that this cruise wasn't a vacation for
me exactly: it was for attending some company meetings that a company
happens to hold on cruise ships (yeah, I guess some companies do
that!).

Another group of answers has to do with whether or not you really like
cruising. I agree totally: people are probably "cruise people" or not.
Introverts like me probably don't generally enjoy hanging out by a
swimming pool or bar with a lot of other people: but some people who
wrote really have fun in groups. And there are other issues that just
have to do with a lot of people in one place (like getting sick from
issues other than gluten).

Several people wrote that they had far better luck dealing with gluten
issues with other cruise lines (Royal Caribbean and Princess).

Other people had similar issues to my own with Celebrity.

Interestingly, two people wrote who do like cruising and do like
Celebrity: both of them also pointed out problems they had had with
the line. One person likes Celebrity just fine.

One person also reminded me that there are smaller cruise ships around
that don't hold so many people, and are a lot more personal. I'll
second this: I did go on one very small cruise (10 people) once and it
was fantastic. Also it turned out to be far less expensive. It was on
an old "tall ship" and we camped on the beach in the Orcas islands
every night. That sort of adventure isn't for everyone either! But if
you like the water, there are other options besides big cruise ships.
I know someone is going to ask, so the link is below, but it was in my
pre-non-gluten days, so I can't verify what they do for food issues.
On our cruise though, there was one vegetarian and they made her
separate meals. It is still pretty cheap though, 6 days for about
$900.

http://www.schoonerzodiac.com

I'm including just excerpts from posts below, since plenty has already
been written about this. My general editorial summary would be:

1. If you are basically a "peace and quiet" type, a condo on the beach
is better.
2. If you do like cruises, and are GF, try another cruise line, not Celebrity.

-- Heidi

==================
I took a Celebrity cruise also, (in my pre-gluten free days and in
days before present extreme security rules).  My cruise went to
Bermuda. So glad you expressed your sentiments - mine are exactly the
same!  Now I know I'm not alone...in my feelings about extra charges,
lack of privacy, penalties of one kind or other for not following
rules, few of which  are posted, etc. etc. Altho, it's not
articulated, there seems to be a vague lack of respect for the
passengers, and for the help as well.

What's supposed to be a fun, relaxing time becomes something one wants
to get out of one's system, and forget about as quickly as possible.
You really did a service warning people that this kind of cruise is
not for everyone.
==================
We love cruising more than anything in the world and are going again
on Celebrity's Constellation.  We are doing another 10 day cruise to
the St Thomas islands Dec 7th with this couple we met on the same
cruise last year.  They are a riot. There was two doctors and their
wives plus one other couple at our table.  On this cruise we will have
reached the highest status in the Captains Club which as you must know
gives you many advantages like being the first to get off or there is
free drinking sessions.

They gave me bread out of a loaf last year so I just ordered a baked
potato at every meal. When we got back I raised wholly hell with the
special needs dept and got their guarantee that it WILL be baked fresh
this year.  I like to take it to the hamburger and hot dog area on the
pool deck at lunch.  That and French fries are the only things cooked
there.
===================
I also took a Celebrity Cruise in Sep. this yr. to Alaska.  I agree
with most every thing Heidi said happened.  They all happened to me
also.  The GF bread was very bitter - awful.  Sometimes crumbs were
cross contaminated, although I watched my bread plate carefully (they
did bring my bread out separately, before dinner).  We all dipped into
the same butter dish & some people (my husband, who should have known
better), used the same butter knife they were using on their plate,
instead of the little butter patty thing, so I always tried to get a
clean pat of butter, as soon as I sat down.  All of my entrees, meats,
veggies, whatever, were w/o any sauce, w/o any seasoning, nothing at
all - just naked grilled or microwaved meat & steamed veg.  Desserts
were just like Heidi said.  Most I could not eat.

They did offer to fix me a bag lunch to take with me when we were off
ship during the day & said do not order/eat at any restaurants on
shore.  My Maitre'd did try very hard, but there just wasn't much GF
food for him to work with.  Definitely very plain, bland & boring.  I
do plan to write a letter to Celebrity Cruise, for whatever it's
worth.
You know, I find your observations hard to believe, since I have been
cruising on a variety of ships for 9 years, and have never gotten sick
on board. If I get any gluten in my system, I react acutely within 2
hours. You sound like an independent soul, so might enjoy a condo
vacation more, but, I would say, give it another try.

I have also sailed on Celebrity  and did not find them to be the"
smartest fish in the sea." Holland America, Princess and Carnival have
the gluten thing down. Carnival even has a gluten free dessert menu in
the main dining room .