From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:06:07 -0700
Another possibility to consider is that the HAL expects to see one CPU
and that seeing a different one makes it panic in normal mode and causes
the lockup. In normal mode, the system uses a driver specific to each
CPU, especially in the power management department. Safe mode drivers
don't include power management functionality and are much more generic
as a result. Perhaps that small difference is what is causing your
issue. If you have a spare hard disk, you could test for this with a
fresh install of Windows on the spare drive and compare performance.