From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:41:59 -0400
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:00:56 -0500, Kenneth Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks, Joseph Berne, Paleo Phil and Ron,
>
>You've given me much to think about regarding acid/alkaline balance,
>fat, meat etc.
>
>Ken

You're welcome, Ken. I still have much to learn myself, as does the
scientific community. There is much to learn after 10,000+ years of
misdirection.

It's not solid scientific evidence, but the experience of Lex and myself and
the info Ron provided suggests to me that pre-contact Inuit probably did not
suffer from high levels of osteoporosis. I've heard claims of that, but when
I investigated, did not find evidence of it. Instead, all the evidence I
found was re: post-contact Inuit who were probably eating some modern foods.

Also, the Framingham Osteoporosis Study data was analyzed to see if "high
protein" diets contributed to osteoporosis. Instead, the researchers found
just the opposite. Possibly due to the triggering of secretin by acidifying
meats, and likely additional factors:

Effect of dietary protein on bone loss in elderly men and women: the
Framingham Osteoporosis Study.
Hannan MT, et al
J Bone Miner Res. 2000 Dec;15(12):2504-12.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11127216&dopt=Abstract