From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:49:37 -0400
> It's in the Book of Genesis, where the god curses his people _ "you
> shall bear your children in pain" or words to that effect.
>
> William

Yes, the agriculturalists were cursed with difficult, painful childbirth,
but before the farmer Cain there were the hunter gatherer peoples (and some
people still live as HGs today--!Kung San, some Inuit Eskimo, etc.), whom
anthropologists and other scientists report tended to have relatively easy
childbirths. Dystocia (difficult childbirth) is a feature of agrarian
society. It arose with the shift from the wild foods that humans were
designed to eat to agrarian staples that we have not yet adapted to.

This phenomenon is even apparent in animals. The ranch hands of the Adams
Ranch in Florida said that they leave their grass-fed pregnant cows to
handle births on their own out in the fields and there is rarely if ever a
problem, whereas grain-fed cattle have much higher risks of complications
and tend to require having a farmer or vet at hand during the birth, in case
there are problems. Every wild animal birth I have seen on nature shows was
amazingly quick and easy, whereas I have seen a grain-fed, barn-cooped cow
in tremendous distress from her pregnancy.

As I mentioned, there has been discussion of this phenomenon in this forum
and elsewhere. Below are some examples. I was thinking that some people here
might possibly have some more to add by now.