From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:34:34 -0600
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:53:24 -0600, Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Anyone else out there who gets cold sores find that altering their paleo
> diet in
> certain ways speeds the healing?  I ask because I've been under lots of
> work/family stress recently and the mother of all cold sores popped up
> under
> my lip right above the chin crease.  I'm in the sun daily for 1-2 hours
> but sun
> has never bothered me before.  Only significant diet changes have been
> that
> I've been eating way more pumpkin seeds (raw) and dry roasted almonds
> than
> usual -- stress eating

stress is a key here; also pumpkin seeds and almonds, certainly in large
quantities,
increase inflammatory reactions.  This is not paleo, but it works: Lysine.
Take 3 500-mg tablets twice a day until the sore heals.  For me, this is
usually overnight.

Here's why: the virus uses proteins to make its shell, protecting
it from the immune system.  When it sees lysine, which is easy to construct
with, it uses it.  But lysine makes a weak shell, allowing the immune
system
to get in there and zap the virus.

For me, eating too much corn (e.g. tortilla chips) causes cold sores to
appear, but as a paleo eater, this should not be a factor.

	Lynnet