C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:05:25 -0500
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Among the things they are arguing:
1. use of terms such as diplegia/quadriplegia
2. involvement of the trunk and specification of its involovement
3. whether CP is progressive in nature. in particular
musculoskeletally and neurologically (by including children who had or
have anoxic events this becomes problemmatic)
4. whether CP should include children up to age 5 who acquire CP
through near drowning/traumatic brain injury
5. whether CP should be listed in terms of differences in tone
spastic/dyskinetic/mixed
6. whether cognition should be evaluated
7. whether behavior should be evaluated
8. whether different areas of the brain should be specified and when
the injury occurred (which week prenatally, antenatally, post natally)
9. whether the type of CP should be quantified using the gross motor
function classification system and the bimanual fine motor function
measure
10. whether it should be classified that cp is not a syndrome,
etiology, but a conglomeration of symptoms/signs/disease processes
11. whether the term CP should even be used

It is interesting hearing/reading all of the perspectives from the
who's who in their respective fields....(PT, orthopod, psychiatrist,
epidemiologist, SLP....). Practically speaking as a clinician it is
quite cumbersome having all the suggested evaluations done and
compiled. The psychological profile is sometimes not even a part of
the overall IEP for a child because of  privacy constraints. However
having the psychological profile is sometimes quite important. An
example is when I had the opportunity of treating two adolescent males
with CP who came straight from a locked psych floor. They were 3-6
inches taller than me and had 50-100 pounds on me. You better believe
I followed their psych profiles closely and their behavior programs.

Take care,
Greta