GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essau Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:14:47 -0400
      Breaking News:Mighty Singhatey Has Fallen!! Has Singhatey Resigns or
what?
Mighty Singhatey Has Fallen!!

Jammeh Fired Singhatey- Edu stripped off  his Ministerial Position and APRC
General Secretary

Controversy Surrounds Singhatey's removal- Sources say Edu Resigns and not
fired as claimed by the government.

"Edward's application was approved. There is no doubt in my mind that he
cannot run his Ministry at the same time going to school. He wanted some
break, but HE is not willing to accept his resignation. HE also hates to see
Eward to graduate with a degree,  when he Jammeh have no degree at hand. The
whole matter was surrounded by grudge an envy. Edu was never sacked. He
resigned longtime ago. The most honorable thing Jammeh could have done was
to thank the Minister for the valuable services he had rendered to his
government and the people of The Gambia. Creating such a false alarm is the
least desirable. We are not aware of any problem between Jammeh and Edu. HE
needs to be bold enough to accept the man's resignation in good faith and
move on. This's  what a good leader should do and not to lie." said a source
close to the Minister's family.

There is an environment of uncertainty within Jammeh's cabinet, as The
Gambian leader parted with one of his longest serving Ministers in the
person of Edward Singhatey. Mr.Singhatey who recently surprises his
colleagues by enrolling into Gambia's University Law School, tendered his
resignation letter to the government on the grounds of pursuing higher
Education. His reasons were that his studies might interfere with his
Ministerial duties and as such he needed a private life to pursue his law
ambition. Singhatey resignation was put on hold as the Head of State was yet
to decide his fate. But it appears that the President is overreacting to
Singhatey's move to call a day with his government. In a statement broadcast
on National Television Monday evening, the government announces the
immediate removal of Forestry and Environment Miniser Edward Singhatey.
Singhatey has been replaced by his Permanent Secretary Kotu Cham. The former
Army Captain also lost his APRC General Secretary portfolio according to the
State house release.

The Government fails to advance any reason for Singhatey's removal.
Mr.Singhatey was said to be one of the brains behind the July 22Nd military
coup, which toppled the 30 years PPP rule. His removal came as a surprise to
many here. Since their resignation from the army, Singhatey has been playing
low profile. His brother Colonel Peter Singhatey is second in command at GAF
Head Quarters in Banjul.

Reports have it that the President was displeased by Singhatey's recent move
to pursue Higher Education at the Nation's only University. "Edward's
application was approved. There is no doubt in my mind that he cannot run
his Ministry at the same time going to school. He wanted some break, but HE
is not willing to accept his resignation. HE also hates to see Eward to
graduate with a degree,  when he Jammeh have no degree at hand. The whole
matter was surrounded by grudge an envy. Edu was never sacked. He resigned
longtime ago. The most honorable thing Jammeh could have done was to thank
the Minister for the valuable services he had rendered to his government and
the people of The Gambia. Creating such a false alarm is the least
desirable. We are not aware of any problem between Jammeh and Edu. HE needs
to be bold enough to accept the man's resignation in good faith and move on.
This's  what a good leader should do and not to lie." said a source close to
the Minister's family.

The sacked Minister has been going on his usual normal life. Edu was
reported to have told his supporters and well wishers that he has served his
country faithfully and honestly. For Edu, there was no regrets parting with
Jammeh and life goes on. The former Minister who received a group of
sympathizers at his house said" There is nothing permanent. Lets accept
God's decision in good faith. I served my country to the best of my ability.
I have no regrets whatsoever. This is what God has predestines and we should
question it. I'm ready to move on with my studies."

Prior to these developments , Lamarana Jallow reported about the ongoing
moves spearheaded by President Jamemeh to get rid of the Singhateys. His
story turns out to be true. The President has indeed parted with Singhatey.
Mr.Singhatey has been stripped off all his APRC responsibilities.

Finance Minister Koro Ceesay's murder

The sacked Minister has been accused over the years of being among the
killers of Finance Minister Ousman Koro Ceesay. Although, there are no
material evidence available so far to indict the Minister. The allegations
were made by the junta's former Spokesman Ebou Jallow, a man of questionable
character, with little or no credibility. Mr.Jallow himself duped Gambians
by clandestinely siphoning state funds amounting to millions of dollars.

A former Army Colonel Sam Sarr, in a book, he authored also tried to link
Koro's murder to Singhatey, but critics say the former colonel's findings
were based on hearsay or secondary evidence, which are hardly admissible in
a properly constituted court of law. Sarr who spent months behind bar says
he was able to investigate and document some of the atrocities committed by
the very government he served .

If Sam's revelations against Singhatey are anything to go by, then there is
hope for justice. Bringing Edward Singhateh to justice is not a bad move
because Gambians and friends of the Gambia want to know the killers of Koro.
Now is the time for Edu to clear his image if his hands are really clean. He
should cooperate with individuals interested in pursuing the matter.

                      NIA Official's  version of the story

A top security Analyst at the NIA in Banjul remarked" This is the beginning
of the fall of President Jammeh and his government. The removal of Singhatey
will cost the President dearly. Here is a man who have a lot of support in
the army and the Civil Populace. His brother Peter Singhatey too has his own
followers in the army. The timing of the President's move is wrong. You
cannot fire Edu and leave his brother in the army. They either both go or
stay. Already he has created a bad blood. Peter cannot like Jammeh any more.
That's out of it. Based on the feedbacks we are getting, there is bound to
be rebellion in this country. We don't know who are the people behind this
plot, but there is bound to be one. If Edu continues to stay in this
country, he will end up being arrested and framed like other detainees at
Mile Two. Peter's job is on line as well. That I can tell you."

The NIA official said Edward Singhatey has long been planning to part with
Jammeh. "He lost faith into the system. On many occasions, Edu had tendered
his resignation, but the President would prevail on him to stay. He wanted
to leave and find something worthwhile. We at the agency knows the
capabilities of Singhatey. He is a security threat. The best thing he can do
is to leave this country before it's too late. He can study law in the UK or
elsewhere. It would be unwise for him to continue to stay here.Our men are
watching his moves closely." said the NIA official.

                    What's Jammeh's Objective?

President Jammeh enjoys controvery.  The President is not with himself. He
take decisons without knowing its far reaching implications. The other day,
he fired Kebba Sanyang and moved him to the Works Department. He brought a
junior Counsel in the person of Marie Saine. With due respect to our learned
AG, she lacked the required qualifications to run that office. She needs to
read the section of the constitution touching on the appointment of AGS by
the President. This position is not meant for counsels with no serious track
record.   You got to spend number of years into the legal profession before
qualifying for the job. Madam Sarr has not been known as a serious law
advocate. She has never successfully pursued a case be it in the lower and
upper courts. She is one of those lawyers who operates  in their chambers.

Marie Saine was called to the Gambia n Bar the same time with Kumba Sillah
and others. The President don't mean to tell us that there are no qualified
staff at the Department of state to run the Ministry. Appointing Hendry
Carrol our good friend would have make more sense. In that Carrol, is a good
orator and knows the law. He is verse with legal authourities. There are
other Counsels at the AG Chambers who are more qualified than Saine.

We harboured no grudges against Marie Saine. We are just being real. It
makes no sense to hire someone who is not fit for the job. We can bet that
the likes of Carrol would be doing the job for  Saine, while she is called
as SOS. To bring confidence into this Department of State, the President
needs to reconsider his decision. Hiring Principal Magistrate Richard would
also make sense. Marie is the wrong person for the job.

Our learned friend would do justice to her country, family, colleagues and
loved ones if she steps down. There is nothing wrong to quit  one's  job if
he or she  feels  that the load is too heavy for you. This is where
patriotism lies. True patriots would also speak their minds if entrusted
with responsibilities they cannot deliver.

President Jammeh created the precedence. From 1994 to date close 100
ministers had been hired and fired. The Justice Department hits the chart
with the highest number of sacked officials. He has sacked and sacked until
he has nothing to fire. Jammeh got work very hard to find replacement for
Sanyang. Most of the lawyers approached turned down the offer. They don't
want join their colleagues on the firing line. These sackings undermine our
lawyers CVS or Resumes or if you like. Many international organizations
would prefer to hire a lawyer who have not been sacked than the sacked ones.
Our lawyers are now  thinking. It don't worth it. Why working for a
government which have no respect for its workers. Marie Saine is just a
caretaker AG. HE Jammeh would dictate to her what he wants. She should give
chance to other qualified lawyers to run this high office.

The editor can be reached at the following
addresses:[log in to unmask],[log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask]  By phone dial the following numbers:
Office:-919-872-50-28  Cell: 919-798-81-22  If you know that it's happening
or is about to happen please contact us. It's easy. Just type your info on
our contact us file and  then click send. The Freedom Newspaper is your
leading and most authoritative  source of news. We have the required
professionals to serve you round the clock. Get your morning breakfast news
by reading Freedom. We have good stuffs  every morning. At Freedom, we mean
business.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 (Archive on Sunday, September 30, 2007)
Posted by PNMBAI  Contributed by PNMBAI
 Return <http://www.freedomnewspaper.com/Homepage/tabid/36/Default.aspx>

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい