ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:45:08 +0100
Hi all,

Well, I thought I'd update you . . . and will be glad of continued prayers.

First to say is that Mike and I are both OK at present, with food in the
cupboard and at least most things working in the house . . ..  Mike is at
work and does have a distance to travel by bus.  Meantime, as predicted, the
water comes ever closer to us.

Let me say though that of course some of the country is well and truly much
worse than we are right now.  There have been three known fatalities so far.
It seems that one man, having had too much to drink, went for a swim in the
water overflow in Tukesbury (one of the most severely hit places).  Sadly, a
lady there also lost her twins who were born prematurely.  They did get them
to hospital, but not quickly enough.

Tukesbury was reported to be slightly improved yesterday but still most
people are moving places by boat and supplies of bottled water come in that
way.  It is thought that this will need to continue for about two weeks.
The night before last, floods came within about six inches of a sub-power
station.  One had already gone down in the area but this would have meant
thousands more people being without any power, so of course that would even
include mobile phones.  The insurance costs last night were put somewhere
around 3 billion (that of course is pounds) but is probably more
realistically about 5 billion because many people do not have insurance.

This morning sees flooding to parts of Berkshire (which is our county) and
river levels are expected to peak late tonight or early tomorrow, with an
inch or two of rain expected again tomorrow.  To make it clear, there is
flooding within just a few miles from here right now.

Many people are getting prepared but we have not been offered any sandbags,
not being immediately beside a river.  This road is open to flooding though
and we saw some last week when we had such heavy rain.

Anyway, God knows all and sees all and we have the wonderful knowledge of
knowing that He is taking care of us, even if there is nobody else right now
to do that.

I'll keep you updated as and when I can.

Thank you, my dear family, for standing with us.

--
Carol - Reading, UK

To you, o Lord, I lift up my soul;
In You I trust, o my God.  . . .."  PS25:1-2 NIV.