ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:15:39 -0600
Full online article at:
http://www.seekgod.ca/imagination1.htm

Harry Potter: Christian Icons & Bad Advice
                  Harry Potter:

                  Christian Icons  & Bad Advice

                  1 John 4:4:1

                      "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the
spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out
into the
world."

                  Numerous icons of  Christian leadership have accepted and
promoted Harry Potter as harmless and even helpful for young people. It
stands
to reason that if something is promoted as good for Christians, it should be
able to stand the test of Scripture. Here are a few quotes from these
'leaders':

                  Chuck Colson, in his Breakpoint broadcast, praised Potter
and his friends for their: "Courage, loyalty, and a willingness to sacrifice
for one another-even at the risk of their lives."  Colson's essay can be
found in his Internet site's archives at
www.breakpoint.org.

                    "If your kids do develop a taste for Harry Potter and
his wizard friends, this interest might just open them up to an appreciation
for
other fantasy books with a distinctly Christian worldview," Colson
continued. "When your kids finish reading Harry Potter, give them C.S.
Lewis' 'Narnia'
books and J.R.R. Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. These books also
feature wizards and
                    witches and magical potions -- but in addition, they
inspire the imagination within a Christian framework -- and prepare the
hearts
of readers for the real-life story of Christ."

                  Colson presented Potter's satanic practices as: "Purely
mechanical, as opposed to occultic. That is, Harry and his friends cast
spells,
read crystal balls, and turn themselves into animals-but they don't make
contact with a supernatural world."

                  Really???? All the ghosts, poltergeists, goblins, ghouls,
elves and so on that they talk to, the divination, shape-shifting, use of
spells
and talismans, levitation, astral projection, demon possession, automatic
writing and so on,  are not of the supernatural or occult world? Isn't
witchcraft
itself a religion contrary to God?

                  Let's take a moment and evaluate the following based on
Chuck Colson's statements:

                    When Harry hears voices threatening his life --Inside
cover of The Chamber of Secrets: Harry hears evil voices, sinister messages
appear
on the wall,

                    --when Trelawney is demon possessed and channels a demon
who speaks through her,

                    --when Harry is demonically attacked several times, has
psychic dreams, is involved in necromancy...,

                    --when Voldemort possesses Wormtail and Ginny, and,
quoting the evil Lord Voldemort who had possessed the body of Quirrell and
who had
his face on the back of Quirrell's head,

                      "See what I have become?" the face said. "Mere shadow
and vapour...I have a form only when I can share another's body...but there
have always been those willing to let me into their hearts and
minds...Unicorn blood has strengthened me...you saw faithful Quirrell
drinking it for me
in the forest...and once I have the Elixir of Life, I will be able to create
a body of my own..."[ p 213 of HP & The Philosopher's Stone]

                    And from page 566, 568 of HP & The Goblet of Fire,
Voldemort again speaking,  "I was ripped from my body, I was less than
spirit, less
than the meanest ghost...but still I was alive. What I was even I do not
know...I who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to
immortality.
You know my goal--to conquer death...I could possess the bodies of
others...inhabited animals, snakes, of course being my preference-but I was
little better
off inside them as a pure spirit, for their bodies were ill-adapted to
perform magic...and my possession of them shortened their lives...a
wizard...I took
possession of his body...I was not to be assured immortal life...the servant
dies when I left his body....I could not hope to be sent another wizard to
possess..." Page 574 of that same book presents demon possession and refusal
of it.

                    And the possession of Ginny---page 228 of The Chamber of
Secrets, " [Voldemort] grew stronger on her fears, poured a little of his
soul
back into her..."

                  ---these are not of the supernatural? Not of the occult?
Not making spiritual or religious statements that can impact a child or
adult?
Just imagination?

                  Rowling made many statements in her books intended to have
deeper meaning. Being a teacher she would be well aware of the impact a
suggestion
can make on a child. For example, on page 24 of the Philosopher's Stone,.
Harry mentions that he had a dream about a motorbike that was flying, which
is
the form of conveyance used to transport Harry from his parents house to the
Dursley's. His Uncle Vernon yells and states "MOTORBIKES DON'T FLY." Harry
agrees and states it was only a dream. "But he wished he hadn't said
anything. If there was one thing the Dursley's hated even more than his
asking questions,
it was his talking about anything acting in a way it shouldn't, no matter if
it was in a dream or even a cartoon--they seemed to think he might get
dangerous
ideas." Shortly after this exchange they are in the zoo where Harry
befriends and talks to a snake in 'parseltongue' and then, through his
unknown wizardry,
releases the snake.

                  Several messages are being conveyed. Keep things hidden
that your parents might not approve of. Teaching curriculum demands that
children
be taught that their parents views or beliefs are biased and that their own
beliefs must be developed based on finding their own sources of
information--which
are conveyed to be good, regardless of whether the source is in fact good in
God's sight. God says "train up a child," it is not to be left to them.
Cartoons,
dreams--including psychic dreams, and other sources viewed by parents as
unacceptable, are harmless and good, if the child views them as such.  The
incident
of Harry talking with the snake is not unlike the snake in the Garden of
Eden.

                  On Page 187 of The Goblet of Fire, comes the idea, "You're
not supposed to be old enough to deal with it...the sooner you know what
you're
up against, the better. How are you supposed to defend yourself against
something you've never seen." Although this was talking about 'defense
against
curses and dark magic' the meaning and ideas are no different than that used
in the promotion of sex ed and condoms and other problems. Many set aside
the viewpoints of parents or at times the School board decision, in favor of
'doing what's best' for the children. The message was said very clearly in
the Potter books where the "ministry of magic' didn't think they should have
the information but the 'good' Albus Dumbledore and Moody decided they would
ignore the rules and give the information they thought appropriate.

                  The idea in real life is that children need all manner of
information, the sooner the better, and hinges on promotion and acceptance
of
all manner of practices including homosexuality. The indoctrination of ideas
begins in Kindergarten, where ideas are easily molded into innocent minds.
The sell is that it helps children to be ready to handle the various
situations by giving them 'the tools', and removes the bias of parental
teaching and
beliefs, placing teachers, etc., as 'good' sources of information. It's left
on the child's shoulders to determine what is morally and spiritually right
for them, based on seeking out and finding what they will, directed
discretely by the beliefs of the teacher. What action they choose merely
exhibits their
willingness to make a 'fully informed' decision and handle the consequences,
according to school curriculum ideas. We've seen how well these tactics
work,
as promiscuity, pregnancy, drug and alcohol use and so on have escalated
while the age of the victim has plummeted.

                  Now that the door is opened to studying and practicing
witchcraft, how many will choose it as a 'good source'? God said to 'train
up a
child in the way they should go." He didn't say to let children have any and
all information and let them decide what's best for themselves. That comes
when they are older. Our thoughts as Christians are to be focused on the
Lord. The wicked will not do that.

                  Psalm 10:3 "For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire,
and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth. 4 The wicked, through
the
pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his
thoughts."

                  Proverbs 6:16-18 16 These six things doth the LORD hate:
yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
                  17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed
innocent blood,
                  18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that
be swift in running to mischief,...

                  In The Chamber of Secrets, Rowling plants the idea that a
desired birthday gift "would be harmony between all magic and non-magic
peoples-though
I wouldn't say no to Ogden's Old Firewhiskey." [p.78] How New Age! Harmony
and peace between those who follow the god of this world and those who
follow
Jesus Christ. Harmony and peace between witches who are an abomination to
God according to Scriptural truth, and those who reject witchcraft as that
abomination.
It cannot happen but it is the ideal the occultists, UN One World Religion
and others are pursuing. Except, Christians will never be a part of that
system.

                  As far as an adult --a teacher at that--asking, what are
portrayed as teenage students, for whiskey as a birthday present--does
anything
need to be said???

                  Another message that Rowling presented was found on page
114 of the Philosopher's Stone. Speaking of the history of Hogwarts, which
was
founded by " the four greatest witches and wizards of the age", "they built
this castle together, away from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when
magic was feared by common people and witches and wizards suffered much
persecution.'...founders worked in harmony together, seeking out youngsters
who
showed signs of magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated..."

                  Conclusion: magic and witchcraft is acceptable and good
today, although it wasn't years ago. Children and youth are capable of
learning
to be good witches and wizards---it's not just for adults.

                  James Dobson's Focus on the Family made the following
comment: "Harry Potter is a standard tale of good vs. evil, and good always
wins
in the end. Harry, the hero, often triumphs because of his upright character
and pure motives. Unconditional love and courage are held as ideals of great
importance. By following Harry and his best friend Ron, the reader gets a
glimpse of true loyalty and friendship, as well as self-sacrifice."

                  Focus on the Family's Plugged In Magazine, presented 4
reviews of the Potter books, plus reviews of CS. Lewis and Tolkien writings.
Presenting
itself as " We've put together the best information available to help you
and your family make informed decisions" and "Go to a source you can trust:
Focus
on the Family Youth Culture Analyst Lindy Beam."
http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/magic/

In the four Plugged In reviews of the Potter books, book two has the
statement, "Very little change from the way witchcraft is portrayed in Book
I. Again,
magic is employed as a tool, an art, a diversion, and a weapon, yet nothing
"occultic" is ever invoked." "...Harry also finds out that he's a
parselmouth,
or someone who can talk to snakes. At first he is frightened because the
ability to speak in this tongue has generally been granted only to Dark
wizards,
but eventually it becomes clear that Harry will be able to use his
parseltongue for good-to defeat the monster in the Chamber of Secrets..."
http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/harrypotter/A0018562.cfm

The review lists a startling amount of Positive elements, which quite
frankly, are a gloss over of what the books are about. The third review, as
lukewarm
and lacking in it's Biblical analysis as the others, states, "....This is
the closest that the books come to an appeal to an outside, or occultic,
source
("The Sight"). Their instructor says to them, "We shall start by practicing
relaxing the conscious mind and external eyes . . . so as to clear the Inner
Eye and the superconscious. Perhaps, if we are lucky, some of you will See
before the end of class." This Sight is referenced as a gift with a vague
origin.
Dark Magic is still seen as a great evil to be combated by good witches and
wizards.   [bolding and underline added]
http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/harrypotter/A0018564.cfm

The Fourth book review, again makes light and in fact dismisses the occult
teachings of the books  and is a study of contradictory thought, fully
omitting,
as is done in the others,  the occult imagery, symbolism and actual
practices of the occult.  "...Despite Rowling's hints that the books will
become darker,
it's not in the area of magic that the trend occurs. Little has changed from
how magic is portrayed in the first three books: stereotypical; a skill
rather
than a power. ....Only one professor teaches magical skills as though they
are connected to an outside source-professor Trelawney of Divination
Class-and
she is increasingly portrayed as silly and superstitious."
http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/harrypotter/A0018563.cfm

It should be noted that knowledge of the occult and it's practices, rituals
and behaviors are learned over time. Many view it as levels of initiation, w
hich
incidentally, is found in the occult content of the books. To suggest that
skill is not involved in real witchcraft is incorrect. It is skill mixed
with
and acceptance of the power that comes from the demonic. That is found in
the very first book, where Hagrid makes the comment to Harry, "Not a wizard
eh?
Never made things happen when you was scared or angry? ...every odd thing
.. had happened when he, Harry, had been upset or angry..."[p.47 ]

                  Harry's power supposedly comes from Generational
witchcraft with his parents having been powerful Witches. Each of the
students and teachers
at the Hogwarts school are admitted practicing witches and wizards.
Therefore, they already are of the demonic and have the 'power'. The
students are simply
learning the tricks of the trade, no different than in real life witchcraft
and satanism. As the curriculum shows, the knowledge of the craft is added
to yearly, just as in real life.

                  The various contradictions and omissions of occult
practices will be addressed. What is shameful to me, is that there is little
to no
mention of Biblical truth in comparison to what is presented in the books.
They are merely evaluated from a humanistic standpoint allowing for the very
basic deception that there is good evil. God does not view wickedness and
those who are of the occult in a pleasing manner. Rather, Psalm 7:11 states,
" God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day."

                  Roy Maynard, author for World Magazine praised Harry
Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as: "A delight-with a surprising bit of
depth ...
Rowling ... keeps it safe, inoffensive, and non-occult. This is the realm of
Gandalf and the Wizard of Id, not witchcraft. There is a fairy-tale order
to it all in which, as Chesterton and Tolkien pointed out, magic must have
rules, and good does not-cannot-mix with bad."

                  Since a wizard is a witch, pray tell, how can it not be
about witchcraft, when the very school is a school of witchcraft and
wizardry?
Rowlings said the vehicle of the stories was witchcraft. One of Satan's
greatest tools is the mixing of good and evil, that is, truth and error. To
suggest
that magic--which is forbidden and an abomination to God--has to have rules
that keep the good from mixing with bad--is quite frankly, trash.

                  We are reminded again that God clearly had written into
His Word, in 1 Timothy 1:4 "Neither give heed to fables and endless
genealogies,
which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so
do." So, how can those claiming to belong to God, teach something that is
contrary
to God's word?"

                  Can Satan cast out Satan? Can something that is an
abomination to our Lord be called good and a defense against another part of
that same
abomination?

                  Mark 3:23 "And he called them unto him, and said unto them
in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
                  24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that
kingdom cannot stand.
                  25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house
cannot stand.
                  26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided,
he cannot stand, but hath an end."

                  Wheaton College professor Alan Jacobs said that Harry
Potter promotes: "A kind of spiritual warfare.... A struggle between good
and evil....
There is in books like this the possibility for serious moral reflection ...
the question of what to do with magic powers is explored in an appropriate
and morally serious way."

                  One should pause here--'explored in an appropriate and
morally serious way'.

                  What to do with magic powers? There's no dilemma. It's
really quite simple. Since magic and witchcraft are of the occult Christians
are
to have nothing to do with it. Since Rowling is not of the Lord Jesus
Christ, hence not a source for providing sound doctrine or teachings, how
can there
be anything to reflect upon? She's clearly writing about spiritual matters
and making very serious spiritual statements and teachings which contradict
Biblical truth. In interviews she has quoted Buddhists sayings favorably and
although queried about her religious beliefs and that of her parents, those
issues remain hidden. That is, hidden and avoided in interviews, but not
according to what one reads in these books.

                  Matthew 7:18 "A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit,
neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit."

                  Psalm 1:1 "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the
counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in
the seat
of the scornful.
                  2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his
law doth he meditate day and night."

                  Embracing the Occult

                  Deuteronomy 18:12

                  "All that do these things are an abomination unto the
LORD."

                  Christianity Today magazine published the following
comment: "We think you should read the Harry Potter books to your kids. The
literary
witchcraft of the series has almost no resemblance to the I-am-God mumbo
jumbo of Wiccan circles. Author Rowling has created a world with real good
and
evil, and Harry is definitely on the side of light fighting the 'dark
powers'... Among the laugh-out-loud scenes are wonderful examples of
compassion,
loyalty, courage, friendship and self-sacrifice."

                  No resemblance to the 'I-am-God mumbo jumbo of Wiccan
circles"????? No theology intertwined in the dialogue or practices that
would lead
a child away from Biblical truth? I disagree. On page 211 of the
Philosopher's Stone, we read, "There is no good and evil, there is only
power, and those
too weak to seek it. "

                  Page 206, when the chess pieces come alive, and Harry won
the match, the white king took off his crown and cast it at Harry's feet.
Harry
is of the occult.  The imagery is reminiscent of servants of Christ casting
their crowns at His feet. Revelation 4:10

                  "Death is but the next great adventure" p 215  This was
justification for the suicide of 666 year old Nicholas Flamel and his wife,
who
died 'for the greater good.' Aside from the wicked implication of 666 and
the mark of the beast and anti-christ, it suggests that death merely moves
one
onto another life, ie. reincarnation. It in no way upholds the truth of
God's judgment, eternal peace versus eternal torment and so on. Death is
held up
as glorious, but God says that we are to view death as something else.

                  Proverbs 8:36 But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his
own soul: all they that hate me love death.

                  The mention of the 'Inner Eye' in the divination class, as
well as the presentation of palmistry, astrology, tarot, crystal balls, tea
leaves, runes and so on are all part of Wiccan mumbo jumbo--in real life and
real time. Reverse writing is used in the mirror of "erised". Meaning desire
written backwards. Something that real Satanists are taught--and
required--to do.

                  Runes are occult symbols used to communicate with the
subconcious, as talismans, used for charms and magic spells, divination, and
shaman
use them to communicate with the dead. The 'Inner Eye' or all seeing eye is
the emblem of Osiris whose equivalent is the Indian god Shiva. In a nutshell
it means Satan.

                  And the 'I AM God" mumbo jumbo is found in the very name
of Voldemort who epitomizes Satan. While Rowling had his original name as
Tom
Marvolo Riddle, she did not derive Lord Voldermort from that name. Rather
the reverse is more likely true. The name means " I AM LORD Voldermort " Vol
de mort --- is the French for 'flight or end of death', or possibly 'theft
of death'. His pursuit for immortality through the 'Elixir of Life, and
creating
a new body is no different than what occultists have been trying to
accomplish since the Garden of Eden, that is, to conquer death, be immortal
and be
God. That is precisely what is presented in various activities and dialogues
in the books. The "good wizards" already have the Elixir of Life through
Flamel
and Dumbledore's alchemy, and as shown by the example of Flamel, live well
beyond mortal years.

                  One of the more disturbing messages is found in the Goblet
of Fire. Certain occult imagery and blatant witchcraft will be addressed
later,
but the one message that caught my eye has to do with Voldermort, who is
raised to full power in a satanic ritual which included grave robbing and
drinking
blood. After his followers are summoned through his mark on their arm---yes,
the mark of the beast implications are clear--his worshippers arrive on the
scene. They can't believe their eyes. Their leader was back in full power,
and the wizards are arriving, "...Apparating. All of them were hooded and
masked.
And one by one they moved forwards...slowly cautiously, as though they could
hardly believe their eyes. Voldemort stood in silence, waiting for them.
Then
one of the Death Eaters fell to his knees, crawled towards Voldemort, and
kissed the hem of his black robes. 'Master...master...' he murmured. The
Death
Eaters behind him did the same; each of them approaching Voldemort on his
knees, and kissing his robes, before backing away and standing up, forming a
silent circle....thirteen years since we last met. Yet you answer my call as
though it was yesterday...we are still united under the Dark Mark, then!..."
They also call him 'My Lord.'

                  What is taking place is devil worship. Voldemort came to
power after a Satanic ritual. His followers worship him and call him master.
That is clearly not of God.  Deuteronomy 32:17 They sacrificed unto devils,
not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom
your fathers feared not."

                  Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the
LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

                  Since people say fables like this can also have positive
spiritual meaning, like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, or Lewis' Narnia, we
should
be able to evaluate this from a Biblical perspective, since it is
recommended as good for Christians.

                  In a sense we could say that Rowling has set Voldemort up
as a perversion of the Biblical account of the anti-Christ. Voldemort is
practically
destroyed in the Chamber of Secrets, with the Basilisk is killed with a
sword. In the Goblet of Fire he again has his serpent --which he keeps close
himself--- giving him wisdom and power and he rises up again to full power
of witchcraft and evil and causes his followers to worship him. He uses his
power and determines to make war and destroy any that will not follow him.
His followers "swore eternal loyalty", and he believes he has guarded
himself
from "mortal death" by being the most powerful wizard alive. Incidentally,
the serpent is also the symbol of Satan.

                  Revelation 14: 13 "And he doeth great wonders, so that he
maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
                  14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means
of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying
to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the
beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
                  15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the
beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many
as
would not worship the image of the beast should be killed."

                  Those who think this evaluation to be inappropriate and
yet would promote Tolkien and Lewis from the same perspective, need to think
carefully.
If people are promoting Rowling, Tolkien and Lewis writings as good for
Christians, tools of evangelism, allowing children to see a 'Christian
worldview'
through the occult, then we should be able to weigh these things to the Word
of God and evaluate all in the same manner.

                  As far as telling Christians that they should have their
children read the books, that is no different than the suggestions planted
in
the books themselves. Page 15 of the Philosopher's Stone has the
manipulative statement, "...He'll be famous--a legend--I wouldn't be
surprised if today
was known as Harry Potter day in future--there will be books written about
Harry---every child in our world will know his name." With that came the
suggestion
in The Chamber of Secrets, "...You'd better hope Creevey doesn't meet Ginny,
they'll be starting a Harry Potter fan club"...The last thing he needed was
for Lockhart to hear the phrase 'Harry Potter fan club." [p. 77] And Harry
Potter fan clubs, websites, writings and all manner of idolatry have
blossomed
worldwide.

                  Consider carefully what these Christians are saying.
Harry, a wizard/witch is 'light,' fighting 'dark powers.' If God views all
witchcraft
as an abomination to Himself, how can Christians call a witch or a wizard
good and on the side of light? One can't be evil and good.

                  Matthew 6: 22 "The light of the body is the eye: if
therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But
if thine
eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the
light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"

                  While presenting the good qualities of Harry such as
friendship, loyalty and bravery, Colson, Dobson and the others, for the most
part,
neglected to describe the other character attributes and activities of Harry
Potter and his friends, such as: lying, stealing, desiring revenge, hatred,
uncontrolled rage, sneaking, swearing, jealousy, envy, covetousness, deceit,
disrespect, rudeness, rebellion, envy, manipulation, black mail, gambling,
murderers, diviners, witches and wizards, and so on. The fact that these are
imaginary characters doesn't cut it. Children are taking them seriously,
calling
them 'just like us.' One could provide Scripture after Scripture which would
show why these character qualities are not of God.

                  Evil that is presented as good which then fights a "bad
evil" is what these individuals are teaching and promoting. However, what
God
says about things is what really counts.  "Woe unto them that call evil
good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
that
put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" (Isaiah 5:20). What these
leaders are missing is that witches and wizards and witchcraft are an
abomination
before God. How can they then say it is good or acceptable fare for
children?

                  Since we are not to love the world and things in it, nor
use man's wisdom or the occult for spiritual growth and understanding, one
must
ask why those claiming to be Christian's are promoting the things of the
occult, witchcraft and all manner of evil as a means to know Jesus Christ.
Fiction
and fables, which are lies,  and the occult are viewed as the way for
children, particularly, to come to know Jesus Christ, according to these
Christian
leadership and their followers.

                  Contrary to that thinking, Peter wrote, "2 Peter 1:6 For
we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you
the
power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his
majesty."

                  Think for a moment. Can you believe that Jesus, Peter,
Paul, James or any of the other disciples, taught about 'good' witchcraft,
wizards,
elves, ghouls, poltergiests and so on as the lead in to get people
interested in the Gospel of Jesus Christ? The presentation would be that
amongst all
these fables was a true story. Clearly a contradiction in theology and
terms!

                  Many scoff at the idea that any child will be drawn into
the world of witchcraft from reading the books or similar fare. However, The
Associated Press reported that in Shanghai, an 11 year old said after seeing
the movie, "The magic was awesome! I'm going to learn how to do that..." It
was reported in Britain that the Pagan Federation has appointed a youth
officer to deal with a flood of inquiries following the success of the Harry
Potter
books. The article, called, Potter fans turning to witchcraft related,

                    The federation says the Potter books, by JK Rowling, and
TV shows such as Sabrina The Teenage Witch and Buffy The Vampire Slayer, had
probably sparked the new flood of interest.

                    Media officer Andy Norfolk said: "In response to the
increased queries coming from youngsters we established a youth officer, not
promote paganism, because that would be against pagan ethics, but merely to
answer these queries...

                    ... parents should not be alarmed by their children's
sudden interest in magic. "Paganism is recognised as a valid religion," he
said.
"In no way is it a cult and certainly it offers nothing untoward.

                    "We do not allow members under 18. As for children, I
think a lot of young people think that witchcraft will help them sort out
problems
in a quick and easy way.

                    "Some of them may wish to find out more about paganism
and they will discover that it is a nature-based spiritual religion which
places
responsibility on people's individual actions.

                    "However, for most it will be just a passing fad, and it
is not something parents should be concerned about."

www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=306029&in_review
_text_id=250010

                    ....© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 04 August 2000
                    Terms and Conditions
                    This Is London

                  If Harry Potter was just fun imagination, a worthy and
helpful read and non-occultic as these leaders and many more would have us
believe,
then we would not find such resources as the following being sold at such
sources as Amazon.com.

                  The "Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of
Harry Potter." written by Allan Zola Kronzex, a professional magician and
educator
who lectures on the history of magic and conjuring at elementary and middle
schools.

                  He is also the author of "A Book of Magic for Young
Magicians and  The Secrets of Alkazar. Considered a must for Harry Potter
fans, Kronzex's
'Sorcerer's Companion' allows Potter readers to look up anything pertaining
to magic in the Potter books. [bolding and underline added]

                  From the back of the book we read, "Millions of readers
around the world have been enchanted by the magical world of wizardry,
spells
and mythical beasts inhabited by Harry Potter and his friends. But what most
readers don't know is that there is a centuries-old trove of true history,
folklore and mythology behind Harry's fantastic universe. Now, with The
Sorcerer's Companion, those without access to the Hogwarts library can
school themselves
in the fascinating reality behind J.K. Rowling's world of magic...allows
curious readers to look up anything magical from the Harry Potter
books....Wands
and wizards, boggarts and broomsticks, hippogriffs and herbology, all have
astonishing histories rooted in legend, literature or real-life events
dating
back hundreds or even thousands of years. Magic wands, like those sold in
Rowlings' Diagon Alley, were once fashioned by Druid sorcerers out of their
sacred
yew trees. Love potions were first concocted in ancient Greece and Egypt.
And books of spells and curses were highly popular during the Middle Ages.
From
Amulets to Zombies, you'll also learn: How To read Tea Leaves, Where to Find
a Basilisk Today;...Who The Real Merlin Was; ...How to Get Rid of a
Goblin;..."
[Sorcerer's Companion
>www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0767908473/reader/35/10
3-6046765-4159058]

                  The section on "The Sorcerer's Stone" explains the ancient
Egyptian art of alchemy...
[Review>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/076790847
3/reviews/103-6046765-4159058]

                  From School Library Journal
                  ....Each of the 84 alphabetical entries describes a
subject studied (arithmancy, divination), an object used (wand, cauldron),
or a creature
that appears in at least one of the Potter books, including a specific
reference to the title, chapter, and page number. Then, using references
from ancient,
medieval, and modern literature, legend, mythology, and religion (almost 100
sources are listed in the extensive bibliography), each entry goes on to
describe
where, when, and how that subject, object, or creature has also been part of
Western history, literature, or oral tradition. Most entries are from one
to three pages long,...-12 pages on magic and 14 on magicians throughout
history. A fascinating history of the uses and abuses of medieval alchemy is
buried
within the article on the sorcerer's stone,... Sidebars highlight specific
aspects in detail-the mummy's curse, alchemical frauds, animals on trial.
More
than half of the entries are illustrated with black-and-white drawings,
woodcuts, or reproductions. ... The same readers who can't get enough of
Harry
Potter will enjoy learning about arithmancy, spell casting, and much
more..." [Review]

                  Biblical Truth Versus Lies

                  1 John 2:21

                      I have not written unto you because ye know not the
truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

                  What Scripture would it be that would have Christians
teaching that telling lies and promoting the falsehood of 'good evil' as
being a
positive and helpful way to teach about Biblical truth? God's Word literally
destroys the arguments and fallacy of these people. Jeremiah 23:29 Is not
my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the
rock in pieces?" God reminds us in His Word, that lying is not part of Him.

                  Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot
lie, promised before the world began;"

                  1 John 2:21 "I have not written unto you because ye know
not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth."

                  James 3:17 "But the wisdom that is from above is first
pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and
good
fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy."

                  Ephesians 4:25 "Wherefore putting away lying, speak every
man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another."

                  In the first book, Dumbledore states, " The truth,'
Dumbledore sighed. It is a beautiful and terrible thing and should therefore
be treated
with great caution." p 217.  That is entirely against what God states. It's
noteworthy, that humanists believe there are no absolutes and that lying is
okay. "On NBC's 'Today Show, January 22, 1990, Dr. Michael Lewis ...said,
"Lying is an important part of social life, and children who are unable to
do
it are children who may have developmental problems..." [Burns, p.92]

                  Proverbs 12:22 states: "Lying lips are an abomination to
the Lord."

                  Colossians 3:6 "For which things' sake the wrath of God
cometh on the children of disobedience: 7 In the which ye also walked some
time,
when ye lived in them.
                  8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice,
blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. 9 Lie not one to another,
seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; 10 And have put on
the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that
created
him:"

                  Revelation 21:8 "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the
abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters,
and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and
brimstone: which is the second death."

                  Revelation 21:27 "And there shall in no wise enter into it
any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh
a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life."

                  Jesus said in John 4:23 "But the hour cometh, and now is,
when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth:
for
the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that
worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

                  Is it not true that in order for someone to come to know
the Truth of Jesus Christ they have to hear the Word of God---not fables and
lies?

                  Romans 10:14 "How then shall they call on him in whom they
have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not
heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
                  15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it
is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of
peace,
and bring glad tidings of good things!...17 So then faith cometh by hearing,
and hearing by the word of God."

                  It does not say any will come to know Jesus Christ or
learn sound doctrine by  viewing as good, witches, witchcraft, fables and
all manner
of the occult. That goes against the Word of God. Witchcraft, the occult and
fables are not evangelism tools as stated by such organizations as Focus on
the Family, Chuck Colson, Rowling, Tolkien and C.S. Lewis Fans and many
more, unless one is clearly showing why such practices are false.

                  If one does anything with the occult it needs be to show
how occult thinking has become part of Christian thought or practices. It
cannot
be presented in such a way as to make it or part of it appear good.

                  Romans 1:21 " Because that, when they knew God, they
glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their
imaginations,
and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise,
they became fools,"

                  Those who look to material in these books, or similar as a
source of help and learning, who proclaim it to be good and who profess to
know Jesus Christ, need to think again.

                  Ephesians 5:11 "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful
works of darkness, but rather reprove them."

                  Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are
true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever
things
are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good
report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these
things.
"

                  For Chuck Colson See: Evangelicals and Catholics Together

                  Next Section : Harry Potter: Real Names & Real Witches

                  Copyright . All articles are the sole property of
SeekGod.ca and Vicky Dillen

                              Do You KNOW Jesus Christ?

                    Now is the time to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
"Behold now is the accepted time; behold now is the day of salvation."
2Corinthians
6:2

                  If you read only one article on this website,
                  please let it be:

                  God's Simple Plan of Salvation.
                  It concerns the most important decision
                  you will ever make in your life!
                  Don't let this opportunity to be saved pass you by.

                  If you don't know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior,
and would like some help understanding His gift of eternal salvation, please
contact
us. Saying a prayer won't save you. Prayer is merely expressing to God how
you feel. Believing and repenting are just the beginning of walking with
Jesus
Christ as Lord and Savior.

End of article.