From:
Gail Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 May 2009 10:51:01 -0400

Nouris—GF food rest

215 Banff Ave  at Caribou ST

Banff, Alberta T1L, Canada

Safeway

 Many GF products available at larger Safeway stores; GF products kept

throughout the store; there are also many other GF products which you will

find by reading the labels. Kinnikinnick products are available in most stores

As you head north, the selection becomes much smaller. In Canmore

(near Banff,) you'll find Nutters Health Food store with a few options.

If I were you, I'd stock up in Calgary.

Nutter`s Bulk and Natural Foods  900 A Railway Avenue

Canmore (403) 678-3335;; Jasper (780)852-5844; ~ Variety of GF flours, mixes,

pastas and cereals e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Web site:  http://www.nutters.com/index.html

I spent two weeks in the Banff area back in 2005.  We flew into

Calgary, rented a car, and drove to Banff.  Because national parks in

the US do not have substantial grocery stores, we stopped in the last

town on the highway before entering Banff National Park, Canmore, to

see if there was a store where I could stock up on GF supplies.  Not

far into town, we serendipitously found a store that looked promising.

When we went into the store, I nearly cried; there was such a variety

of Kinnikinnick breads that I actually had to make choices because

there was no way I could eat them all.  The store was

This forum,

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=32033&mode=threaded&pid=284685,

has a li
st of restaurants in Banff that have GF options.  In addition,there was a

wonderful Greek restaurant on the main street in Banff where we ate twice because

the staff was so helpful with my diet requirements and the food was so good.

(It may have been El Toro, 429 Banff Ave, 403-762-2520, but I am just guessing by

looking at the Banff map and remembering the approximate location.)  While knowing some

recommended places may be helpful for you, our experience was that restauranteurs in Banff

were very knowledgeable about the GF diet and quite happy to accommodate it.  This was not

the case in Calgary. Having become accustomed to walking into whatever restaurant we chose

in Banff and having staff know about the GF diet without our having to explain it, we were

totally taken off guard when we went into a chain restaurant in Calgary and no one knew what

we were talking about and were dubious about their ability to accommodate my needs.  The

difference?  Banff is a tourist town that makes its money by accommodating its visitors.

extra tips:

*It is a lovely area.  I’d go back in a heartbeat.  Have a wonderful time!

*Around Lake Louise, the hiking is excellent, but please be sure to carry some good noise makers

to scare off any errant wildlife….. but don’t use the noise makers on rutting elk.

*Bring lots of warm clothes for your trip to the mountains. The elevation makes the air constantly
=0
Acool or cold. You'll be amazed at the huge scale of things!