From:
Steph Poulos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steph Poulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:59:15 -0500

I said that I had read posts mentioning different celiac doctors at
different
universities, most seemed to focus on kids.  Then asked which was best for
adults.

Overall -- University of Maryland and University of Chicago were given as
seeing adults (and kids) the most frequently, followed by Dr. Green in NY
and Dr. Murray at Mayo in Minnesota. Worth noting that insurance may be an
issue depending on who you see.

There was one message from a 70 year old patient of Dr. Fasano's who said
that the doctor even answers his questions over the weekends!

Summary --

Several individuals mentioned that although University of Maryland is
thought to be pediatric only, they DO see adults and have for years.

The executive directors of University of Maryland -- Pam King; and of the
Celiac Center at University of Chicago - Carol Shilson, sent emails about
their programs and that BOTH see adults as well as kids.  I even called both
centers later, and learned they take many kinds of insurance.

Another suggested that the centers likely started off as seeing just kids
but all now do see adults.

A few mentioned that Dr. Green in NY does see adults not kids; but insurance
is a problem; another post indicated that the center takes no insurance.

A couple messages mentioned Dr. Murray at Mayo in MN.

A couple families said the one of the parents saw Dr. Semrad at Univ. of
Chicago and the kids were patients of Dr. Guandalini; they were very pleased
with the care and attention by the doctors and dietitian.

Dr. DeMeo at Rush Medical Center was mentioned in a post said that he is an
advisor to the Center at University of Chicago.

Dr. Ruddert in Atlanta was mentioned, too.

Multiple people suggested that depending on where I lived there was likely
someone who saw adults.  Though I didn't give where I live, I was interested
particularly in the established, known  centers.

Finally, several people asked that I summarize the posts.

Hope this helps others.

Steph