ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:57:17 -0600
GCF: Up

Lovers of the English language might enjoy this ... How do
non-natives ever learn all the nuances of English?

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any
other two-letter word, and that word is "UP."

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of
the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why
are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to
write UP a report?

We call UP our friends and we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP
the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We
lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.

At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir
UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this up is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped
UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We
seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP , look the word UP in
the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4
of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many
ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't
give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun
comes out we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it wets UP the
earth. When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP .

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so ....
Time to shut UP .....!

Good Clean Fun. It's free! A smile will enhance the quality of your life.
Just send an email to:
or visit the Good Clean Fun web site
http://www.kcbx.net/~tellswor/
Unsubscribe info for Good Clean Fun is at the end of this email.
This email was scanned by F-Secure before it was sent.

_ _____________________________________ _
/ )| Thomas S. Ellsworth |( \
/ / |
\ \
_( (_ |
http://www.kcbx.net/~tellswor |
_) )_
(((\ \>|_/ )_____________________________( \_|</ /)))
\\\\ \_/ / \ \_/ ////
\ / The sooner you fall behind, \ /
\ _/the more time you have to catch up.\_ /
/ / \ \

647

*** Good Clean Fun ***
Stop for a visit, leave with a smile!