From:
"J.A.H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.A.H.
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:10:56 -0800

Talked with a nurse recently who said that there are all types of flu and only one type of shot.  I've decided not to take a chance and end up being ill from it - have been GF for almost a yr now.

I never take flu shots anymore.  I find I usually get ill after taking one, so it doesn't make sense to take it and get the flu when you can take your chances and maybe not get the flu!  lol  But that is just me (also my husband reacts the same).  I know they say there is no active virus in them, but after this happening every time we got one, we just decided it was not worth doing.

Personally, don't do it.  My experience, (and that of a good friend
 with 5 kids) is that you are more likely able to fight off an offending
 infection being gluten free than you were before.

I have a suppressed immune system due to medication I take for Rheumatoid arthritis.  My dr. recommends it absolutely.  But please understand, celiac disease, an auto immune disease, does not render one's immune system suppressed.  In fact it is the opposite.  Your immune system is attacking you! It is definately not suppressed.

I just Google'ed this and I found this article:
http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_treatment.php

I don't do flu shots.

accination against pneumococcus and Haemophilus influenzae type b
(D).
Vaccination against influenza (D).
Guidance about the increased risks attached to tropical infections
e.g. malaria (D).
Life long prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended (C) [

I don't take flu shots, and haven't since about 1960.  I never get the
 flu.  I
don't get the common cold either

I'm allergic to eggs - I break out in Hives from head to toe! I can't have them. I just do Zinc lozenges - and I stay away from people who are sick -- and I carry wet wipes with me year round..

I've heard that at least some flu shots have mercury/eggs in them.

Celiacs have an overactive immune system not a suppressed system.  We are not like patients who receive chemicals to decrease immune reaction

My gastro does not recommend it for celiacs.

The flu shot gave me full-blown Mono (with hospitalization for liver
 failure).
Never again will I get a flu shot.

I am a member and would encourage you to investigate the National
Vaccine Information Center at www.909shot.com and learn the stuff the
drug companies do not want you to know.

The flu shot as it is currently formulated is safe for immune suppressed individuals, incld AIDs pts, people on immunosuppressant drugs, pts with chronic autoimmune diseases, etc...  The nasal flu vaccine is not ok.  For people who are immune suppressed, expect a mild mild fever and general run down feeling for a day or two after the vaccine is given.  This is due to the immune activiation, not due to any disease.

Both the flu shot and the pneumonia vaccine are consistently recommended by celiac experts

'm a celiac and have been gf for 7 months. I recently had a flu shot -- no problems with it at all and I'm happy to have the extra protection during flu season

Yes, you should have a flu shot and pneumonia shot every year to help protect your immune system.  The shots are GF.  Betty Barfield, President, NTGIG

You can take the shot unless you are allergic to eggs

Absolutely get one

My childs Dr. agreed that it is not going to kill us if we get the flu
 but
the side effects from the shot could do more damage

Flu shots and pneumonia
 vaccinations
are recommended to most people with autoimmune diseases.

I was told yes

JAH
www.glutenfreeeugene.org