From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:08:49 -0600

Further to my questions about zonulin, I have emailed Alessio Fasano (Alba
Therapeutics) and he has responded as follows:

QUESTIONS:

The new zonulin-regulating drug, AT-1001 is undergoing further trials and
has so far reported to be successful and without severe adverse side
effects.  I have searched all over their site at
http://www.albatherapeutics.com and have not been able to find the answer to
my question:

1)  Is the drug intended to be taken on a regular daily basis ?
or only occasionally, such as when eating in a questionable restaurant...

ANSWER:
It is really up to the patient how to eventually use the drug.  Alba is
running clinical trials aimed at using the zonulin inhibitor on a regular
basis and with each meal.  However, people may want to use the drug only as
a "safety net" when they are not completely in control with the food they
eat (business trips, vacations, on a flight, eating out to restaurants or to
friend/family household not really familiar with the gluten free diet, going
to college, etc).

2)  Does the drug block all absorption, e.g. will it block the absorption of
important nutrients as well as gluten molecules, or just the gluten
molecules  ?

ANSWER:
No it does not. The drug blocks the "leakiness" in between cells, while
nutrients are absorbed through the cells. Gluten being a big molecule should
not be absorbed before beiong dismatled in its single elements (called amino
acids) that then can be absorbed as nutrients.  So the drug is intended to
block the inappropriate passage of large molecules, leaving nutrients
absorption untouched.

Janice.

*******
*******