VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 20:17:28 -0600
From: "Brian Hartgen" <[log in to unmask]
To: "Bob Acosta" <[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 2:21 AM
Subject: Scripts for TC Web Conferencing

Hi Bob

There is no rush for this, but I wonder if at some point in the
future
you could please post the below announcement for testers of the
web
conferencing jaws scripts to your mailing list for tech talk or
other
events?  Thank you.

Announcement Starts

I have started a voluntary project with which I would please like
the
assistance of list members if possible.  I have begun to create
some
JAWS scripts for the TC Web Conferencing client which is used by
Accessible World and other events.  While the chat client is very
accessible, the scripts provide some additional spoken feedback
when
navigating the client, they provide keystrokes to read specific
parts of
the screen either on demand or automatically, and they give help
information when requested.

I am wondering if anyone would like to test the scripts to see if
they
are of value.  If they are, I will complete the functionality and
distribute them at no cost.  If you would be interested in
testing please
let me know by sending a message to

You must have jaws version 9 or 10, although if the trial is
successful
I will ensure the scripts are compatible with earlier releases.

Functions added so far are as follows:
1.  When logging into a chat room, the names of fields are
correctly
identified when pressing Tab.

2.  Pressing ALT+L reliably locks or unlocks the Talk key and
jaws speaks
its status.

3.  The following keystrokes are available:
A.  A keystroke speaks the name of the person who has control of
the
microphone or if no person is talking.
B.  A keystroke speaks who entered the room last.
C.  A keystroke speaks who left the room last.
D.  A keystroke speaks the number of users in the room.

4.  Keystrokes exist to read the most recent chat message, the
second
most recent, etc.  First the name of the person who sent the
message is
spoken, followed by the message.

5.  As jaws users will know, pressing Insert+Tab always reads the
focused
control.  In addition to doing this, the following information is
provided when the keystroke is pressed:
A.  Whether the Talk key is locked.
B.  The name of the person who has control of the microphone.
C.  How many users are in the room.
D.  The name of the most recent person to enter the room.

Pressing this key twice quickly outputs the information to the
virtual
viewer.

5.  Pressing Insert+V for the Adjust JAWS Options dialog box
allows you
to control two options currently, which are:
A.  Automatic reporting of who has control of the microphone, and
B.  Automatic reporting of who enters the room.

Other options could be added at a later point.

6.  Insert+H provides a list of jaws specific keyboard commands.
Insert+W provides a list of keystrokes native to the application.
Insert+F1 provides context sensitive help.

More feature suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

Brian Hartgen

Checked by AVG.