VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Burzese <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Burzese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:44:24 -0500
Hi,

First of all, thanks for all your help with finding a saved attachment in my
temp files!

Now, on to another issue. My machine is loud! it has an AMD 1.5 chip. At the
time, December, 2002, it was a pretty hot chip, so I put a fan in the front
of the case and one in the back. Since it is more of a full-size, gamers'
case, with lots of extra room for boards and front panel slots, it seems to
really amplify the sound of the fans. I recently put a towel over the top of
the case and a more densely folded one underneath to better isolate and
absorb the sound. I made sure not to block any vents. It seems that it might
be a bit ghetto, but they have made a noticeable difference to the ambience
of my office.

Any other sound insulation tricks? I suppose foam might absorb it better
than towels. Can I put material inside the case? ? The tower sits in the
well of my desk, near the floor. Since it is so deep, I had to remove the
front door.

Thanks again,

Ron
Austin, TX