VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:53:06 -0400
Jackie

Accessability/usability is in the eye of the beholder <grin>!!
I use both E*Trade and Schwab daily, and find both exceedingly usable.

Here are a few at random thoughts that will pertain not only to these
sights as well as many many others:

(1)  Never judge the usability of a sight on an initial visit.  I did this
with both of the aforementioned brokers and thought them unfriendly.
After continuous use, I deem them very usable.

(2)  Be careful of disparaging comments on sites from others as there is a
possibility that they are less than competent internet users, made quick
judgments, or are just passing along the opinions of others without
checking out things for themselves.

(3)  Bookmark in your favorites pages within sites that you know you will
want to go to frequently.
As an example, once logged into Schwab, I have pages bookmarked to take me
to my Stockwatch, account info, etc.
I have similar pages bookmarked for e*Trade.

(4)  Familiarity breeds comfort.  If, for instance, you are uncomfortable
placing orders online, practice during non-trading hours using unfillable
criteria.
Try placing a day order, for example, to buy Aple (aapl) at $40 a share.
What are your chances of that order being filled today?
Next to none; and if it is, you probably have the bargain of a lifetime
<smile>!!

(5)  Sometimes, it is handy to use 2 browsers simultaneiously.  I might,
upon occasion, have e*Trade open in both IE6 and Firefox -- placing my
trade in one and flipping over to the other for checking the bid and ask.

(6)  Remember, sometimes sighted users get frustrated with sites as much
as blind users do.  Some sites may not be designed all that well.
A great example of this was that of Radio Shack several years back where I
can recall virtually no one feeling comfortable with the site.
Today, Radio Shack is a very friendly site so don't let past reputation
always be your guide and often the opinions you receive are based on old
news.

(7)  Often, a blind users' frustration with a site is due to less than
optimum Windows or screen reader skills.  What I deemed impossible to do a
couple of years back is second-nature today.
I once was scared placing a trade on Schwab; now, it is easier doing it
online than using the telebroker system.
There are great tutorials for learning how to use a pc from a screen
reader perspective and great teachers who can do this on a 1 to 1 basis.
Time is money, as they say, so using these resources, while initially
perhaps costing you something, will ultimately pay you back manyfold in
saved time, efficiency, getting things, and all the rest.

         Mike

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]