VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:04:32 -0400
and some of us can place orders too.

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Cassell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: [VICUG-L] let's really think about this talking book situation

Please email suggestions concerning list operation
to [log in to unmask]

In peripherally discussing the Braille & Talking Book Library, Nelson
mentioned that his Reader Advisor saves him the trouble of having to study
the
bimonthly listings of new talking books which, as he said, " of course
ignore all the
previously recorded talking books."

I would like to point out that, for those of us who use computers (like
probably all of us who are reading the messages from this list), it is quite
possible to log onto the Library of Congress' catalog of talking books, and
search it directly.  In so doing, one can, of course still access the
bi-monthly Talking Book Topics in electronic form, as well as the entire
catalog of Braille and talking books available to all of us.

While I, too, subscribe to the Talking Book Topics, I find myself more and
more accessing the catalog directly online instead these days, as I am able
to specifically search for those books and topics in which I may have a
particular interest, even though I may not know specifically what it is I am
looking for.

Using the online Search feature, I can search for best sellers, biographies,
fiction, history, etc., and not be limited to only the previous two months'
worth of talking books.

If you haven't tried it yet, I strongly suggest that you give it a try.  It
opens a whole new world of reading enjoyment to you.

Click on the following link to be taken to the NLS online catalog now.

http://nlscatalog.loc.gov/

Enjoy!

-- George

Archived on the World Wide Web at