VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:20:01 -0400
Please email suggestions concerning list operation
to [log in to unmask]

Hi all,
This dialogue is fantastic.
I had about 25 responses in my box, thanks a bunch folks!
As far as Bill's arguments, I hear ya on all that.
The senior issue and Lynn's argument about CP, and folks arguments about the learning curv are all valid.
The problem is still though, 6000000 books published per year, and the talking book program?  Try 20000, and that just isn't gonna cut it, and that has to be addressed by NLS, and until they address that issue, it's hard for me to call my congresswoman and tell her, "support this program that only produces what, a tenth of the books per year that folks can read?
We're still 2nd class folks, and that doesn't cut it either.
Now, Mark made some awesome comments about bookshare, too.  Those of you who use bookshare, can you tell us on the list how many books are scanned in per year?
Of course, I know that newspapers are also available though bookshare, which is great.  How many papers are available through it?  I don't use that for 2 reasons.
1.  I can read the papers using their web sites, or

http://www.ecola.com

and click on the newspapers link.
2.  I don't have to pay for that, like I would bookshare.
Now here's a question I have for this townhall meeting, (in a way it is, since so many are getting involved and we need this), how many books does NLS hope to publish per year when the audio download program is in full swing?  Is it gonna be the same number as the amount of books that are printed per year for society as a whole?  If it is, it will be worth every cent congress allocates.
The way the talking book program is right now, well, it's like driving a 1906 car, in 2007, it is just not gonna work.
It's not, what is the word I'm looking for, folks, help me out here.  It's not efficient.
What is needed is a program that will have these books available the same day, as it is for all other able boddied readers.
We're not there yet, so I hope those of you who will be at the ACB and NFB conventions this summer will make resolutions to encourage both organizations get legislation introduced and passed that will make this kind of thing happen, so then, we can get rid of the huge disperity, the great casm, from where we are to where we should be, and that is, same day reading, and reading of all books, not just 20000 per year.  I don't know what the answer is folks.  Is it the download program?  Or is there something better?  Anybody got an idea?
I hear Tony's and other comments about arthritis, so, in adition, this player should be accessible through speech recognition, as well, not just hand usage.
And Nelson is right as well, the librarians can be helpful, *VERY HELPFUL INDEED*!  They've ben good to me over the years too.  However, eventually, they probably won't be needed either though, if this download program goes into affect.
The only way we'll be equal in society is, when we can read any book, the same day it's published, just like able bodied folks, and we're not there yet.  However, this is a blessing folks, what is happening with congress and the future funding of this program.  We have a window, right now, to decide just how this program will run, and not just if it's funded.  Let's give congress suggestions on how it should be run, not just that it should be run.
That is so important.
Thanks Leigh for pointing it out, yes, it's only $19000000, not the 20 billion.
I loved Valiries points as well.  We need to address this, and we can't wait till next year.  The time is now to address it.  People need to be involved, not just calling their congress folks, but somehow, get on the inside of the talking book program, getting on the inside with the folks who make the decisions, and get them to run this thing the way we disabled folks want it to be run.
Why have special manufacturers to make special things for us.  My friend Linda, just got a talking microwave, you all know about that oven, right?  They felt the heat, and did something and we now have a talking microwave.
It's our fault for not enforcing the ADA, it is indeed our fault.
We sit there in our segregated disabled community, and just let the able bodied run us over, and this must stop.
How, I'm not sure.  Anyone got ideas on how to get things done?  I mean, we can make phone calls to manufacturers, and I do that myself, but can we do more?  Let's address that kind of thing at conventions in July as well.
I think it's great when she said that we'll have a more aging society that will demand access to entertainment, education, and employment.  Let's hope so, or, we're all done.
I work as well with the transportation industry, and folks, what's coming is gonna blow our minds.  In 10 years, there will be a vehicle that will drive itself, and not just able bodied folks will be able to use these, but disabled as well.
If you want to hear what it sounds like, go to

http://www.blindcooltech.com

and click on the link titled independence day.
I've ben telling the blind and disabled to be involved in this issue as well, as a matter of fact, take the lead on it!
The only reason books in audio format are even here today is why?  Because we the disabled population, demanded it years ago.
I agree with Dave's point when he said, "the power of digital talking books is awesome, you can skip around in a book or magazine the way a sighted person does."  Now, the key is, let's get that thing to read regular books, and not just 20000 books per year, but any book, should be able to be bought or downloaded and read.
Yes, I love the catalogue myself.
I also agree with Melanie that my approach would be more expensive too.
Take care all, and thanks for your responses, and let's keep working together, (both organizations of the blind, and all blind and disabled, whether or not you're a part of any organization), and we'll get what we want.
Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]