VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:41:23 -0400
Hi all,
Before I get flamed on this, because I'm sure I will, hear me out on this, ok?
I have a better idea for the talking book program than what everybody is screaming for, at the moment.
First, the current talking book program was useful, but is not useful any more.  It's not because even if we go digital, we're still going to see only 20000 books produced each year, and how many books are published annually?  Try about 6000000, or more.  So, the program is not even keeping up with the number of books being published, so, what are the blind and disabled?  Still 2nd class citizens, not keeping up on equal footing with able bodied folks.
Now, is there a better way?  You bet there is, and here it is.
There are 2 better options.
1.  Instead, use that 20 billion dollars a year to buy a handheld reading machine for every blind and disabled person.  This way they can read books, mail, you name it, any printed document they like.
2.  Even better, buy every blind and disabled person in America a fully functioning pocket handheld computer, which can run Windows XP, or, Windows Vista, and include a scanner with it, also either Kurzweil, openbook, or, VIP reading software, so then they can read documents as mentioned in 1 above.  Then, also include in that package, either Jaws for Windows, Window Eyes, or, Freedom Box's System access, which would give them internet access and word processing.
So folks, there are better ways of doing things then we have done them.
This will give the blind and disabled much more access to information, than they would have through talking books.
If you agree with this, you may modify it, and send it all over the internet, and to ACB and NFB, for being introduced as a resolution at their conventions.
Let's change the way the blind and disabled get access, not only to the printed word, but to all information.
Harry from Michigan

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]