VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:11:27 -0400
Hello fellow listers:

Well, was having terrible internet conductivity problems yesterday, and
hence had the cable guys out today. It seems that my venerable linksys
befw11s4 has bitten the dust, or at least enough so such that a new router
must be purchased in order for me to remain behind a firewall and still get
the business account speeds for which I am paying, fairly important since I
have a linux server running off my network.

I'm inclined to stay with linksys and get the WRT54G, but when researching
this product several months ago, I encountered amany many different flavors
of this router, so to speak, all of which having a different letter after
the model specified above.

I understand (or think I do from reading another post way back; perhaps even
on another list) that the self-installation program which comes with the
WRT54G is wholly inaccessible, but that the router can be successfully
installed and interacted with through the web interface.

I major league don't like not being able to operate my windows box from
behind a firewall, not to mention that my access to bookshare material with
my icon is now toast, as is public access to my FTP server and no access to
my asterisk PBX, so I really want to purchase an accessible router ASAP.

Thank you all for any input, suggestions, advice, etc. you would care to
provide.

John

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]