VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:33:05 -0500
I have hesitated responding as what I am about to say may not be viewed as
positive.
Five years ago your approach made some sense; but these days, almost any
middle or top of the line system will give what you want and need for a
third to a half of the money you've budgeted.
Buying a pc is no longer rocket science; most adaptive equipment works
perfectly well with most pcs out there.
And, I believe, you are more likely to run into problems with a personally
designed system rather than a commercially sold one.
Just make certain that the system has the basic specs you want such amount
of ram, video, size of drives,
types of drives, number of usb ports, et al.
What it doesn't have -- or you later decide it needs to have -- can be
then added.
and what happens when this custom system runs into a problem, you cannot
find a driver upgrade, whatever.
If you buy from hp, Dell, Gateway, et al, you have someone to go to and
3rd party techs know how to work with those systems.

with the custom built system, you may have a harder time later finding
drivers, replacement components, whatever.
Thhe last desktop we bought was for around $700; and the latest notebook
we bough was for $900.
While you may decide you need to spend more, I don't think all that much
more.
And there are plenty of people who bought $500 pc packages for Christmas
this year that have no complaints.
In my opinion, you are making a mountain out of a molehill and overly
complicating the process.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]