VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:14:45 -0400
Please send comments on list operation to

George:

Yes, there are two talking so-called atomic clocks, and even one atomic
watch. There's one clock that is just a clock, with a british female
announcement voice, and there is a combination talking atomic clock with
temperature senser. I believe that both speak-to-me: and independent living
aids carry these. Both venders also have the atomic watch, though ILA is out
of them presently. ILA does sell the atomic watch $10 below the speak-to-me
price.

One observation, though. These clocks actually receive a time signal from
WWVB at 60KHz, not the WWV signals at 2.5, 5, 10, and 15MHz. Given that the
clocks are looking for time synchronization signals on this low frequency,
you really should have the clock near a window, especially if you live in an
apartment or condo complex. I used to live in a town house, but when I moved
back to my condo, well, even when placing my two atomic clocks on window
sills, they rarely get synchronized, doubtless because of the compressors,
florescent lights, and everything else around here that's trashing the low
portion of the radio spectrum.

If you need further information, just write me off list.

HTH!

John