VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:12:42 -0400
7bit
From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Micromedia flash player is definitely a visual medium. For the most part
they can be described as flash movies. The flash content on web sites such
as Blue Mountain Arts www.bluemountainarts.com can be described as animated
cartoons. You would send out an e-card of the forth of July with fireworks
blasting.

The slickest production I have seen was on the National Geographic Society
web site. This was a 6-part movie depicting the expansion of the western
United States. During the 1830 - 1859: The audio was quite nice. Example:
An animated map of the United States with States drawn in, zoom in to St.
Louis Missouri with various trails branching out. You would then choose a
trail to here the story of that trail.

Flash media with out the glitz and glamour would be still or sometimes
animated images accompanied by text. Example: A diagram of how a volcano
erupts. The accompanying text at best shows up blurry. When magnified with
ZoomText the text only gets blurrier. The screen reader will not read the
text at all.

More info on micro-media flash accessibility:
Best Practices for Accessible Flash Design: Part 1
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/flash/

http://alistapart.com/articles/flashmxclarifying/