Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:33:19 -0600

Hi All--

Sorry for the delay in the summary - my computer crashed. Anyway, there were
a number of responses that I think, basically, said the same thing. If any
of you who replied don't agree with my summary, please let me know and I'll
repost.

The taller bread pans for GF bread allow the dough to rise further before
spilling over or caving in. [I'm still a bit fuzzy on the caving in part] I
was under the impression, however, that all bread recipes are not created
equal for the taller pans. The following is one response that might help
most of you...

"I have made numerous bread recipe trials in extra deep loaf pans.
Many trials have resulted in extemely high rises that completely
collapse during baking.  However, there are some methods and
ingredients which can produce excellent , tall loaves.  Adding oat flour
and ground flaxseed steeped in boiled water to a bread recipe
produces fantastic results.  If oat flour cannot be used, then it is
necessary to increase the amounts of non-starch flours to produce a
tall, but dense loaf, that doesn't collapse.  Don't go too heavy on
starches like tapioca.  Some starch is needed to bind the other flours
together and helps the bread to rise high, but tapioca has a tendency
to liquify and gel into a solid gummy mass that causes the bread to
lose is structural support and collapse during baking.  I am looking
further into modified starches and dough additives that resist this
liquification and gelling, but oats and flaxseed is an excellent solution if
you have no problem with oats."

The info about the tapioca flour was extremely helpful for me as almost 1/3
of my bread recipe is tapioca. I don't have GF oat flour, so I substituted
half of the tapioca flour with millet and a bit of quinoa. I haven't baked
the bread yet, so I can't tell you how it turned out. I know that Bob's Red
Mill GF Bread Mix and Breads from Anna are mixes that produce nice, tall
loaves of bread in standard bread pans, but I have a food sensitivity to
legumes (bean flour). There may be other mixes that don't require deep loaf
pans...I'm personally trying not to spend so much money on mixes I haven't
tried or have to order through the mail.

Of interest to some of you who may not want to spend $29 on a small, deep
loaf pan until you know if it will work for you or not, I found a deep heavy
duty foil loaf pan at Walmart before Thanksgiving. I think a set of two was
less than $2. I'll have to be sure all little crevices are sprayed well with
cooking spray to avoid sticking, but I thought this might be the best way to
experiment without spending a lot of money up front. The dimensions of this
pan are approx. 12" long, 5 1/2" wide, and 3" tall. It's not the 4" height
I'd like, but it's tall enough that I should be able to tell if I might be
successful with a little recipe tweeking. Also, one person provided a link
to a less expensive deep bread pan that's 16" long:

http://www.kitchencollection.com/Temp_Products.cfm?sku=00210612&RankThis=Y&Searched=wilton%20bread%20pan

I hope this summary was helpful...  ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******