From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:34:13 -0500

A few comments worth mentioning:

Gluten free pantry 800 291-8386. The secret is to roll it out between 2
pieces of clear wrap with a little spray oil on the clear wrap. When
rolled out remove the top clear wrap put the pie tin on top and flip then
take off the bottom clear wrap. I have used this for the last 3 years and
my family loves the pie. If you want to make a 2 pie crust just make the
dough ahead and freeze it, than roll out when you make the pie. The dough
freezes very well.
Whole Foods Bakehouse does a gf already made frozen pie crust, that is easy
and good.  As far as a mix, I have used Bette Hagman's recipe, and the GF
Pantry Pie crust mix, and it turned out great.  I usually do a crumb type
topping rather than a double pie crust, but have successfully done a
double
pie crust.  It is so important to roll your dough between parchment, wax or
even saran wrap - it makes all the difference in being able to get it
rolled properly and lying properly.  I usually do pre cook the crust, even
if it says not to.
I found that the Betty Hagman Featherlight Vinegar pie crust is one of the
best.  You can find it in her The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods.
The pie crust recipe and the chicken pot pie recipe are worth buying the
book for.  I roll out the crusts between two sheets of waxed paper to make
it easier to handle without adding extra GF flour.
My lemon tarts I made using her pie crust recipe were the first to
disappear at a get together of non celiacs.
 I found the most delicious pie recipe and it makes a really good-tasting
crust.  The crust is a little sweeter than regular pie crust, but it is
wonderful with fruit pies, cream pies or pumpkin pie.  It is fairly easy
to make, you just have to be a little careful when placing the crust in
the pie pan.  If it starts to split, just press it back together.  The
recipe can be found by going to
www.recipezaar.com and searching for Awesome Gluten Free Apple Pie With
Crumble Topping.  My nonceliac family beg me to make this pie!  I thought
it would be easier if you just went to this website and printed out the
recipe, as it is a long recipe and I know sometimes ingredients don't
always come out right on the List e-mails.  Good luck and happy pie
baking!  You won't be disappointed, I guarantee!