ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:34:31 +0100
Hi Vinny and all,

Thank you for your message.  I just echo your sentiments, "Amen, Vinny,
amen!"

It is reported on the news that thousands in Tukesbury (in the middle of the
country) now have no clean water or electricity and the rains continue.
Their local supermarket was rifled and bottles of water sold for over five
times their normal price.  The nearest supermarket now open is eight miles
away, if you can get there by boat or helicopter.

They say tomorrow may well see the burst of the river banks here in Reading.
Meantime some local fields are already swamped.  About an hour's drive into
Oxford would reveal real problems as rivers there are already burst and
large evacuations of people have already taken place.

It's reported that people are in boats but they're about to capsize, so have
been made safer by securing large posts into the ground, but nothing's that
safe.  Much of the rail network across the country has been closed, until
well into August.  They say we have had 243 percent of our rainfall for July
already, and May and June were well, well over the top too.

One couple who should have got married last weekend in Tukesbury (about the
worst hit place) were offered another marquet, but then that flooded and
they never got to the altar.  They've lost about 25 thousand on the wedding
and not been able to go on the honeymoon which was booked either.

At these times you see both good and bad, with courage and help shown by so
many and total, utter selfishness displayed by others.  I was horrified
yesterday by comments from our church folk who are praying about the Summer
Conference due to take place in the South-West in two or three weeks time,
that God would change the wind, so that all dries up.  What about helping
people in need right now?  . . ..  (I was angry OK at their selfishness!)
How I wish I could do something but feel pretty helpless here.

Here in Reading the temperatures have dropped considerably today and I am
wearing clothes that I would normally wear in March/April.  We thank God
that at the moment we are dry and have food and water and look to the Lord
for His comfort and peace as we pray "Even so, come Lord Jesus"!

Please continue to pray for us.

--
Carol