From:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:19:26 -0600

There is more and there will be more.

Anything,  salsa, green onions and a bit of bacon grease and lemon juice,  pineapple,
peas, the list goes on...just experiment.

I like to use an avocado base, much like butter, to flavor both pasta and rice.  I
just peel it and make a paste, adding salt and sometimes lemon or lime juice to give
it some punch.

I put vegtables in it, and sometimes dill of various sorts, like capers.  I don't
know if capers are gluten free and I haven't used them in a long time -- but I really
love the tangy taste and it provides an interesting alternative once and a while,
expecially if you are eating fish.

I am wondering what sharp grated cheeses used to top Italian dishes would taste like,
but I don't know what is in them, maybe have to get fresh parmesan and grate it.
I also use to use melted cheese, but I really am lactose intolerant so I don't use
that anymore, and don't know if that would work for you.

I prefer cooking with whole rain rice. I found red rice at my local oriental grocery
and really like it better than brown rice. It has starch similar to jasmine rice and
doesn't get hard when cold, making it nice for salads. It also works well boiled,
rather than steamed, shortening cooking time & losing starch. (Rise to clean, soak if
you have time.  Add to lots of water; when tender, strain through colander.)  I
haven't tried boiling brown rice, but intent to as I have trouble getting it cooked
without over-cooking.

*

Make-ahead wild rice pilaf
1TB. extra-virgin olive oil
˝ cup chopped onion
˝ cup chopped celery
2 ˝ cups GF chicken broth
1 cup uncooked wild rice (Or, use brown & wild rice to make 1 cup) ˝ cup chopped
walnuts (or pecans) ˝ cup dried cranberries  In a medium saucepan, heat oil.  Sauté
onion and celery until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add broth and rice.  Bring to a boil,
reduce heat, simmer 50-60
minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.  Add   walnuts
and cranberries.  Toss, serve warm.
The recipe reheats nicely, can be made ahead, and freezes well.  It can also be used
as a stuffing for chicken or game hens.

One thing you can do is use rice instead of pasta with spaghetti meat sauce.  Put the
sauce over the rice and top with parmesean cheese.  It's yummy.  For something
easier, you could add salsa and a dash of hot sauce to zip up plain rice.  For
something that requires using recipes, you could make risotto, spanish rice, red
beans and rice -- all GF versions, of course.  And for dessert, there's always rice
pudding!

You might try a pinch of poultry seasoning, a dash of turmeric and a bit of salt &
pepper with the chicken broth.

A good Indian recipe is to toast whole black mustard seeds in oil.  Be sure to have a
cover because they pop like pop corn, and keep the heat down so they don't burn.
After they stop popping, add some minced onion, and the dry rice and fry that till
golden.  Add some cumin, turmeric, cayenne, if you like.  Carefully add all the
liquid, cover and reduce heat until rice is cooked and water is gone.  Squeeze 1/2
lemon juice over finished rice & fluff with a fork.

*