From:
lamentruder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lamentruder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:08:13 -0400

List members:

I was pleasantly surprised to be presented with a "gluten-free" menu last
Wednesday at Bugaboo Creek in Burlington, MA.  The waitress seemed
knowledgeable so I ordered grilled trout with steamed vegetables.

In less than 24 hours the dreaded celiac attack began....I'm just now able
to function. (All other meals were eaten at home during this time)

Beware!  Many restaurants see profit in jumping on the GF bandwagon to
please customers and enlarge market share.  By serving celiacs they capture
$$ from family members who might have chosen to eat elsewhere to accommodate
the gluten-intolerant within their group.

While management is talking the talk, the kitchen may not be fully-trained
to walk the walk.  Next time I will avoid Bugaboo's and stick with
restaurants where I'm able to speak with the Chef directly.

BTW--I toured the Mediterranean with Norwegian Cruise lines earlier this
Summer and had a fantastic experience.  One member of the team's sole job is
to take care of "special diet" guests.  No reactions and a wonderful cruise.
We plan to take another one on NCL next year.

Leslie Ament-Ruder