Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:38:46 -0500

Dear List,

It seems that China will be receiving a number of
American celiac travellers this summer and fall!
I've received some more information since the
last summary on the subject of China travel:

I.
Victor Dolcourt forwarded the text of his pocket card:

For medical reasons, I am not allowed to eat any
products made with wheat or barley, and nothing
that contains wheat flour or all purpose flour.
No Soy Sauce. No Oyster Sauce. No Wheat Noodles.
Pure rice or bean or tapioca noodles are OK as
long as they are boiled in fresh water. My food
needs to be cooked in a fresh wok. But it is OK
to eat maize/corn or maize/corn starch, rice,
potatoes, vegetables, meat, etc. Š as well as
soups and gravies thickened with maize/corn
starch or potato starch.

If you would like a copy of the Mandarin
translation, I shall have to send it to you as an
attachment.

Another person said the Triumph card had worked very well for them.

II.
Regional differences in cuisine are considerable.
My own niece, for instance, just returned from
Shanghai. She encountered next to no soy sauce.

III.
Thanks to the list member who prompted me to ask
our Chinese contact about the wheat content of
soy sauce used in China. As we know, the American
version of a given cuisine may be quite different
from food in-country. According to my contact,
Chinese soy sauce uses proportionately much more
soy than the kinds sold in this country.
Furthermore, he says, the Chinese use rice in
place of wheat whenever possible. I shall have to
do further investigation, but it seems possible
that there is a commonly-available wheat-free soy
sauce in China. I shall report success or lack
thereof when I am back in the States in mid-May.

Tamari sauce, of course, does not have wheat and
is a fair substitute for soy sauce-different
though, in that it is sweetened.

IV.
Pollution is a large problem in China. Fresh
water fish, for instance, may be contaminated --
not with gluten, but with chemicals you'll want
to be careful about. Furthermore, the Chinese
themselves use bottled water.

A couple who had travelled in Yunnan (my primary destination) reported:

We did not eat any fresh salads - much too risky.
We're regular salad eaters at home, but we had
lettuce-like leaves sauteed with other foods, so
we still enjoyed eating greens & veggies (many of
which aren't grown in the US). We used the
peeled, boiled or cooked theory for just about
everything we ate, and we washed things in clean
water before peeling. For example, we saw
beautiful strawberries, but weren't even tempted
because we had cycled by fields (of not just
strawberries) fertilized with fresh night soil.
Freshwater fish come from rivers and lakes we
wouldn't want to swim in, so we tried to avoid
eating fish. Chinese make good use of and recycle
everything, but trash and rotten stuff still gets
discarded into streams and rivers.

V.
You can order gluten-free packets of soy sauce from this vendor:
http://www.kitch-n-kaffe.safeshopper.com/

VI.
People reported that some restaurants would cook
to order and accommodate celiac needs while
others would not (kind of like the U.S., no?).
Being in the company of someone who speaks
Chinese and has local knowledge is obviously a
huge help.

VII.
People rave about the freshness and quality of the vegetables in China.

The basic message I got from those who'd been
there is that China's a wonderful place full of
great people, and that no one should allow food
concerns to prevent their going!

best regards,
Mary B.
NYC