Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:36:41 -0400

I have previously discussed how flaxseed egg substitute (1 Tbsp
ground golden flaxseed steeped in 1/4 to 1/3 cup of boiling water
for 10-15 minutes per egg) seems to increase GF bread volume and
height.  This appears to be at least partly due to the flaxseed
gum content in the flaxseed mucilage which separates and becomes
available for baking when the flaxseed is steeped in boiling
water.  (Using dry ground flaxseed in recipes will likely not
produce the same result.)  Flaxseed gum has properties similar to
xanthan and guar gums and is a better water in oil emulsifier
than gum arabic.  Brown and golden flaxseed have similar
nutritional properties, but golden flaxseed is said to have a
more pleasing nutty taste.

Having had great success with the Oat (or Millet) Sorghum Banana
Yogurt Bread recipes and increasing bread volume and height using
the flaxseed egg substitute, I thought I would try leaving out
sorghum flour and replacing it with millet flour to bake an Oat
Millet Banana Yogurt Bread.  The Oat Millet version of the bread
came out misshapen with caved in sides.  I decided this would be a
good test case recipe to see if increasing the amount of flaxseed
egg substitute would correct the problem.

I again baked the identical Oat Millet Bread recipe, except this
time using 4 tablespoons of ground golden flaxseed steeped in 1
cup boiling water for 10-15 minutes instead of 2 tablespoons
ground flaxseed in 2/3 cup boiling water.  The resulting bread
rose high above the 4 1/2 inch deep loaf pan almost spilling over
the edge, creating a "mushroom" topped bread that ended up a full
5 inches high when done.  I could not believe how much the bread
volume and height increased by adding just 2 tablespoons of ground
flaxseed to the recipe!  You have to see the comparison photo to
believe it.  The photo and recipe is shown at the bottom of "Tips
& Recipes" at http://www.gfbakingpans.com .

The additional flaxseed resulted in a bread with a more open
"crumb" with larger air pockets, desirable for toasting.  More
importantly, the desired height for a sandwich loaf is 4 inches.
Because the bread came out 5 inches high, that means, by
increasing flaxseed egg substitute, the other recipe ingredients
can be reduced by 20% to produce a 4 inch high bread, creating a
"light" bread version weighing 20% less.  (2 cups of flour instead
of 2 1/2 cups.)  That's fantastic!  I have been trying to figure
out how to reduce the density and weight of most GF breads, and
flaxseed is the solution!  Now I will have to go back and "retune"
the Oat/Millet Sorghum Banana Yogurt Bread recipes to create
"light" bread versions by increasing the amount flaxseed egg
substitute and reducing the other ingredients.

There is so much on flaxseed and flaxseed gum available on the
internet.  Other than some mention of flaxseed gum, it seems
strange that there is absolutely no mention of how ground
flaxseed steeped in boiling water added to baked goods can
result in such huge increases in volume and height.  This is
so cheap and easy to do, it makes one wonder.  Yet, I present
to you the photographic proof, it works!  Is the commercial
food ingredient industry holding information back to sell more
expensive patented chemical baking additives?

As to the success of the Oat Millet Bread recipe, using sorghum
flour seems to result in a better shaped bread loaf.  Oat and
millet flours alone tend to produce breads with concave sides.

I'm having a blast experimenting with great tasting new GF bread
recipes in these 4 1/2 inch deep loaf pans, trying things not
possible in an ordinary shallow loaf pan.  I really wish you could
all try it.  It's October.  Time for pumpkins.  And I am going to
try substituting pumpkin puree for mashed bananas in my next
bread.  Oat/Millet Sorghum Pumpkin Yogurt Bread... Yum!

* * *