Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:03:05 -0400

Here is a summary of interesting information I got from all you very helpful
people.  Many people asked for a summary, so I copied the helpful parts of
the answers I got.  Although I would rather my son commuted, he is
determined that he is going to live on campus.  He is going to Bentley
College and the Food service supervisor seemed helpful when I talked to him
before my son decided which college he wanted to go to.  At Boston college
they seemed very helpful but said that they would not let him store anything
in the cafeteria which seemed like a problem to me as my son has some weird
intolerances, and it would be easier if he just had access to some of his
own food(ie salad dressing).  My son is not highly allergic or ana. to any
food which makes it easier.  Thank you for all your responses, and feel free
to email me if you have any other advice to add.  My older son went to
school and pretended his intolerances didn't exist, and made himself ill, so
I am hoping to have better luck this time!

Our daughter went to Hobart & William Smith Colleges in Geneva, NY and they
gave her a section in the kitchen to store her gf items, etc
*****
I have a daughter starting college in the fall with the same food issues as
your son.  On a recent visit to college, I spoke with the cafeteria manager
as well as the head cook and the housing/food services director.  They
didn't have much for my daughter to eat during our visit because they didn't
have any allergic students this year, but said that they could accommodate
her diet requirements now that they know.  They have had celiac students in
the past so I feel confident that they can prepare her meals.  They did
suggest that she keep a frig and microwave oven in her room, but I think all
the students do that these days.
*******
Our celiac daughter is a commuting student.  She is also corn intolerant.
She is VERY allergic to milk, soy and egg.  We made the decision that it
would be impossible for her to eat in the college environment after talking
to the chef at the college where she has been taking some classes during
high school.  It was his advise she would be safer in a commuting situation.
He said most cafeteria food comes premade to some degree from companies like
Sysco, ARA etc.  If she would live at school and have to do all of her own
food preparation and cleanup in addition to shopping, there would not be any
time left for her to have activities and social life so we decided to stay
with commuting.

So she eats breakfast at home, and takes one of those soft-side coolers with
her noon meal.  She also works on campus, so she microwaves it and eats
lunch there, then comes home of course for supper as she is commuting.
********
I contacted the  head chef early in the summer and he set up an appointment
with
everyone he thought should be part of things. The nurse, the head of
food ordering, the little fast food places in the school..(coffee
shop, ice cream shop, etc.). He was great. I gave him all of my
website info..I gave him as much info as I could get. He even took a
ride with Brit and I to the local Health Food store and we looked at
what they offered. He said he would keep anything that needed to be
frozen in the cafeteria for her and she could get it anytime. The
rest of her extra goodies she kept in her room! I did buy her a
toaster and she had a fridge in her room as well as a micro. I would
send care packages and since the school was only a hour and a half
drive from home I would go down when I made her favorite stuff and
package it for her! Now the truth... with all that being said, the
chef couldn't of been nicer, the school couldn't of been more
helpful..but, the truth is she still got glutened ALOT! They even
made her meals and plated them for her and all she had to do was pick
them up in the kitchen so that she could be part of the group while
they ate off the cafeteria food...but, cross contamination was always
an issue..no matter how hard they tried! So, the only thing I can say
is try your best..I guess if I did nothing she would of been worse.
She is still heading back next year and living in a sorority house
so, that will be a whole different experience..Only time will tell!

*********
Our daughter (a Celiac) spent her first year in the Freshman dorm. She spent
her Sophomore year in the university apartments. I am glad she had the dorm
experience but her life was so much easier with her own kitchen this past
year.
*******
Before her freshman year, we found the cafeteria service (small private
university) left for the summer and didn't return until right before school
began so contacting them over the summer wasn't an option. The
non-communication made me a little crazy but everything turned out fine in
the end.

I spoke with the Head of the Cafeteria and worked out what they needed to
provide her gluten free food - such as doctor's note, nutritionist
guidelines, school paperwork, educational materials, etc. Once that was
complete, my daughter took over and made an appointment with the Manager to
go over her likes and dislikes.

The school had a refrigerator/freezer combo that had the largest freezer we
could find in a small appliance. We rented that instead of buying one. And
her roommate had a microwave.

The dorm cafeteria provided a separate freezer and dry goods area for her
supplies (they bought all food provided in the cafeteria). Plus they
provided specific cookware for her. We worked with her dorm advisor and
received an exception for using a toaster in her room. Truthfully, she
rarely used the toaster.
**********
I just graduated from college a year ago, and had to
deal with a small university. It can be a challenge
but most are willing to work with you. It's best if
you are clear about the ingredients, and it's
extremely helpful to have a small fridge in the dorm
room where you can stash some of your goodies. Also,
it's good to research the local restaurants so that
you know what places you can eat at and places to
avoid.
****************
A lot depends on which college he is going. Our daughter is at a large
state school and, even though we contacted all the right people ahead
of time, it was no help. She is pretty much on her own. Luckily, she
is in a big city with access to lots of GF choices,
************
Depending on the college  and what type of housing they have - you
might want to check into housing for him that has a kitchenette.
This worked well for my daughter.  She was able to have a
refrigerator and keep her own food and occasionally cook for
herself.  This helped with the breakfast foods especially
*************
TELL HIM TO TRY THE VEGETARIAN OPTIONS  THEY ARE USUALY A BETTER CHOICE
*************
I am a celiac who just graduate from college.  i highly recommend your son
having a fridge and microwave in his dorm room.  and, make sure he buys
nonperishable grocerys and stores them in his room.  while the staff try to
be very helpful, there are thousands of other  students and contamination
and mistakes happens regularly.  also, i advise you waiting until closer to
the semester to contact the staff.  in my experience, i have always been
able to find something in school cafeterias.
Cafeteria doors will probably be locked up if your son gets hungry after
hours...He will need to keep some food in his dorm.

Get permission to have half sized frig in the room.  Then get one w/ a full
freezer across the top that will will allow him to things like Amy's frozen
dinner, store bread, etc.