ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chris & Doris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:12:35 +0100
Hi,Brad,

I much much appreciated this post and it goes into my personal archive.

for me the total trust that God's love is worthy of comes very hard
at times. I did not learn it as a child and find it hard to get love
and trust for God from my head down to my middle

thanks for your post that expounded  on love and fear.

Hugs and prayers,

Doris

At 11:48 AM 11/11/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>So Which Is It… Love Or Fear
>
>If you read Proverbs and the Psalms you will se  such references as
>"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom", or "The fear of
>the Lord is the beginning of knowledge", and passages which seem to
>indicate fear is a good thing to have towards god. A short while ago
>the question was posed on this list… "Do you  fear God?" and
>perhaps  the passage below will serve as a checkpoint for us in
>response to that question.
>
>"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because
>fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in
>love." -- 1 John 4:18
>
>OK? So which is it then. Fear or love. We have instruction saying we
>are wise, have knowledge and understanding if we fear the Lord, and
>right here with our own ears, we hear scripture telling us that if
>we have fear, we are not perfect in love.  These kinds of apparent
>contradictions are where the Word tends to separate the wheat from
>the chaff. Those of God who are the wheat will be curious or
>otherwise disturbed by an apparent contradiction and have a desire
>to seek out which is right, or why is God saying this to us in this
>manner. And the chaff look you in the eye, push the bible to the
>middle of the table, lean back in their chair with hands folded
>behind the head and say "See? This is why I don't believe this
>nonsense, it can't be trusted because it contradicts itself. And I
>just  ain't going to play mind games like that. If you want to?
>That's up to you. But for me? No way."
>
>Do you think people would really say that? I know they  would
>because before I was a believer I was one of them. However there is
>another passage that is very helpful, and it goes something like this…
>
>"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you,
>turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding,
>and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and
>if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden
>treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the
>knowledge of God."-- Proverbs 2:1-5
>
>So we see that finding out about fear, wisdom, understanding,
>knowledge and all about god first starts with the willingness to dig
>in and search it out rather than pulling up to the chair, with
>napkin stuffed in the collar  of your shirt, licking your chops with
>fork and knife clenched in the hands waiting for it to be served to you.
>
>So we see that it starts with willingness which in of itself is a
>wonderful revelation but that still doesn't answer should we fear
>when scripture tells us that we are not perfect in love if we do
>fear?  I am the furthest thing from a theologian, haven't been
>through Bible school but just a simple man trying to study and apply
>the Word of God in life, one who grew up in the old school Lutheran
>mentality that touted, "You're a sinner, God punishes sinners, you
> [...]

"Pray, pray, pray!" - Pray without ceasing. (1 Th 5:17)