ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:21:15 -0500
Phil,
         Your comments here remind me of the contrasts between D. L.
Moody and George Muler.  Both men were very influential, and both men
lived around the same time, but God told each of them to do the
opposite thing for success.  George Muler founded an orphanage in
England and the Lord told George to be totally dependent upon Him and
ask man for nothing.  At one point, George even sold all of his
earthly possessions so that he wouldn't value anything more highly
than the Lord.  There is the famous story about one time when there
was no food in the orphanage and George had all the children gather
in the dining room and give thanks anyway.  When the prayer was done,
there was a knock at the door and it was someone with a bunch of
bread and other food that the bakery had not been able to sell.
         Across the pond, however, there was D. L. Moody, the founder
of Moody Bible institute.  He was known for walking in to a
businessman's office and saying, "so and so down the street is giving
me $10,000, what can I put you down for.  Two men, two ministries,
two different approaches, and God blessed them both.
         You're right when you say that it isn't our job to imitate
any earthly person.  Our eyes need to be fixed on Jesus and our ears
need to be attentive to His call on our lives.  Your walk is not mine
and mine is not Brad's.  If, however, we each stay focused on Jesus,
God's will will be done and that is what is important.
         I think that that is part of the reason that I get so
concerned when we, as Christians, start criticizing another person's
walk or ministry just because it isn't what we think that it should
be.  We are not God and we don't know what the relationship is
between another person and God.  We don't know what that person has
been called to do.  Just because it isn't our walk doesn't mean that
we have the right to put it down.
Kathy