From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:02:40 EST

After a couple of failed attempts, my post of the USDA regs finally got
through. These recipes are the other half of the original post.  Hopefully, they
will help make the holidays easy & tasty for the new celiacs out here.

There are recipes that require careful measuring and those that don't. Baking
requires 'exact' recipes, these are 'about' recipes... Enjoy!  Bev

Toast Turkey--Unstuffed...Lieven
An unstuffed bird has a short cooking time than a stuffed one.  The cook can
bake pies before OR sleep late!

Clean turkey and season cavity with salt & pepper.  Fill with coarsely
chopped celery top & onions (sage & other herb, apples, whatever.) to add flavor &
moisture to the bird.  Rub skin with butter or oil.  Bake in the oven for the
time suggested for unstuffed bird or roast on a covered grill.  Remove &
discard the vegetables before carving.  Make dressing outside the bird.

Dressing on the Side...
I grew up in a family that would rather eat dressing than turkey.  The small
amount of dressing that actually fits in a 12# turkey is a waste of both time &
 bread so Mom made dressing in a 9x13 cake pan to meet the demand. Drying the
bread cubes allows them to absorb more broth, which translates to more
flavor. Toasting the g.f. bread caramelizes the sugars in the bread & adds flavor.
It can be done ahead of time--Store dried bread in airtight container after
cooling..Bev

Dice 'enough Cybros (or your favorite) rice bread or rolls into small cubes.
Toast in a 250 degree oven until golden. Add diced celery and onion, using
about twice as much celery as onion.  Season as per your family's
tradition--black pepper, sage, other herbs, fruit, or sausage/giblets, precooked or raw.
(Taste for seasoning before adding raw meat to mix.)  If using commercial broth,
additional salt may not be needed. Opt...Start w/  raisin bread!

Moisten  with some of the juices that have cooked out of the
'already-in-the-oven' turkey (More will cook out for gravy.) or a mixture of melted
butter/margarine & turkey/chicken broth (~1:4 ratio). The amount of liquid needed
depends on how dry the bread cubes are.

Bake covered in a pam-ed shallow casserole or cake pan for ~45 minutes or
until veggies are tender.  This could also be made ahead of time & reheated in
microwave but edge wouldn't be crispy...
       Note..If using jucies from the partial baked turkey, add the liquid
about an hour before you plan to eat so you can bake immediately to redue the
risk of "food-borne illness."

Gravy..Use toasted sweet rice flour for gravy that is most similar to
wheat-flour thickened gravy. The longer you cook it the gravy, the thicker it gets!
Unlike cornstarch, it reheats well without breaking.
       Toast sweet rice flour ahead of time in a dry skillet or saucepan,
stirring constantly until it is until golden.  (Be careful! Hot dry flour is as
slipper as hot oil & also burns...)  When the desired nutty-ness, transfer to
an heat proof pan to stop cooking & cool. Store in a jar & keep on hand.  (When
stovetop when cool, it can be vacuumed if necessary...Live & Learn!)

To use, mix with water or sprinkle over pan dripping, cooking until the
desired thickness. Lumps will dissolve during cooking, like wheat flour does.
(It's also great for adding to oil for a roux like sauce! Sweet rice flour can be
toasted as dark are you like...)

Other gravy options..
Maxwell's Kitchens make a g.f. gravy mix that several members recommended in
response to an earlier post..It appears to be sold at health, specialty
stores.
Pacific Foods also make a heat & serve Turkey Gravy, which would probably be
more widely available.

GF Options for chicken or turkey stock...Others are g.f. but these are
national brands and should be readily available almost everywhere.
Concentrate in a Jar--Better than Bouillon... Turkey is often more likely to
be available at time of year so stock up!   Contains lactose but NO msg.
Boxed--Kitchen Basics, Pacific Food Free Range Broth, Imagine (for
vegetarian)
Canned-Shelton's, Health Valley, Swanson (Campbell says 'read the label')
Dry--Herb-Ox

Two more stuffing ideas...

There was a request for the corn chip stuffing.  I have tried it & it's not
bad, especially since it sooo easy.  If you need to watch sodium intake, use
reduced sodium broth & opt for salt-free tortillas.

Easy corn Stuffing
"it taste just like StoveTop!...Lister member1 bag Tostitos (or other g.f.
tortilla or corn chips.)
1 can g.f. chicken broth
Minched celery/onion (your personal preference)
Poutry seasoning (salt-free), herbs to taste
Sausage, apples, etc. optional.

Soak chips in chicken borth for 15-30 minutes.
Mix in other ingredients. Put in a baking dish & bake at 350 degrees foe 30
minutes.

(For the original listserv post ''There have been issues about cross
contamination with Tostitos chips but you really can use any g.f. corn chips you like &
 it still tastes great. As for the amount of chips, big bag or small. The
regular size bag is good. As for the amount of chicken broth, I always use a
large container but have used the smaller one too. The more chix broth the more
moist I have discovered the stuffing to be, but don't totally overload the
broth.  YES, there should be some left after the chips soak it up, just put it in
the pan as the heat in the over will evaporate it.")

Bev's Notes--I prefer to use a salt-free tortilla chips made locally
(Manny's) when I do tortilla chips...I can always ad more salt but I can't take it
out!  If I must use Frito Lay products I opt for the Fritos cornchips.  I feel
this reduces the risk of cross contamination because they are a unique shape and
only come in 1 flavor...Same is true for Lays Cheetos and Funyuns products.

Sandra Lee on the Food Network's Semi-Homemake made her grandmother's
cornbread stuffing this week. The recipe should be somewhere at www.food.com but the
search isn't working for me right now. The surprise ingredient was a can of
chicken and rice soup. That was new to me & I thought was an interesting twist
to pass along..Progresso has a g.f. version.  Bev