NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:05:49 -0500
As you probably know, there's lot's of Milk, shellfish, dye,
peanut- free snacks out there (popcorn, chips, pretzels); BUT
finding one with the filling protein is a toughie. The starchy
ones do have protein (eg, popcorn is a whole grain, with about
10% protein), but I'm assuming you're thinking of high
protein. My son's allergic to soy, but maybe you can find
those edible soy nuts. I send almonds with my son as a snack,
but I think many are labelled with the 'may contain other
nuts' problem. Stretch Island fruit leathers have lots of
fiber at least, if not the protein, to help fill him up.
My son starts his first over- night camp tomorrow. I have a
feeling _I'll_ be camping out in the kitchen reading labels
the first day, and trying to find safe substitutes for the
rest of the week...The kitchen crew never said a word about
snacks when I asked them last week about the menu. Thanks for
the reminder of something more to check for!