C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:31:01 +0100
On Wednesday 31 October 2007 15:47:50 ken barber wrote:
> as you know from former post our first attempt to get
> a primary doc was a bust with them looking first at my
> meds and then refusing to have me.
>
> we have decided to try a internal med. doc as they are
> suppoedly better that a GP  for comlicated situations.
>

> now, since we can only just pick from a list, my
> question is would a female doc maybe be more likely to
> listen to me about my compications of CP than a male
> generally speaking?
>
> i hope my question is not confusing. if you anser,
> please give me your insights.

Ken,

It may be a bit difficult to find info, but it would be very useful to find a
doc with some clout on local health review board (thinking about your
upcoming appeal).

Seriously, not all docs are equal! If your doc sits on some sort of medical
review board, and he's writing in support of your appeal, it will have more
weight than the best "listening" doctor.

When I worked for the Department of Health (many years ago) I had access to a
database of all NHS Doctors. I selected my GP based on number of professional
qualifications she had, and number of jobs she did, (i.e. not just a GP, but
on the steering committee for this, or review board of that). It was pot luck
whether I got to see her, more usually one of her locums, but if ever I
needed some red tape shredding, or a medical review written, she always won.

Not sure how you'd get this info in the US.

Cheers

Deri