From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:43:45 -0500
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:34 Debby Padilla-Hudson wrote:

>--- Keith Thomas wrote:
>> You will notice the emphasis on red
>> meat on this list (and red meat
>> from cattle at that - a beast not found in Africa)
>
>But red meat was common in Europe. :)

Homo sapiens arrived in Europe about 46,000 years ago and had covered it by 41,000 years ago.
Red meat was common in Africa, but I specifically referred to meat from cattle. Small game
(rabbits, hares, rats, young deer) would have been the mainstay meats in Europe as these animals
could be pursued and caught by individuals without planning and without assistance.

My point is not that pre-agricultural Homo sapiens did not eat cattle (they certainly did), but that
it was relatively rare. Paleo eating would ideally include meat from a number of species, most of
them small, with no single meat predominating.

Keith