NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherine Jaeger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:24:48 -0500
If you sour rice or soy milk with some lemon juice, it will better mimic
the ph of buttermilk, so the leavening will work according to how the
author of the recipe planned.  If the result (rice milk plus some lemon)
isn't as thick as I'd like it, I'll substitute soy sour cream for some
of the mixture.  That will give it an acid ph and will thicken as well.
Write down what worked and what didn't work so you don't have to guess
again the next time you try to fiddle with the same recipe! (I learned
that the hard way!)
Katherine.
PS  My computer geek son suggested that I send this in plain text,
hoping it gets through without the gobbledegook.  Here goes...