NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
matthew kinross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:59:19 GMT
I am 'allergic' to dairy milk and eggs - but the effect is cumulative - I can tolerate some occasionally
(less so eggs) so my options are perhaps wider than those of people who react quickly - however
the following scenarios may be familiar -
1.      My father, who has known of my allergy for 35 years and witnessed the transformation
that going on a milk/egg free diet caused in my life, will still put milk in my coffee if I don't remind
him - no problem here - tell him he's an idiot and make another cup.

2.      Arrive at mother-in-law's house after a four hour drive with three fractious children and
find that, as usual she has made macaroni cheese.  Say nothing - too hungry and tired to protest
and do not wish to cause a nuisance BUT just as we are about to eat she says 'Oh dear i forgot etc.
etc.!'  To prevent total disruption mayhem etc. eat it anyway and live with the consequences
(flatulence, sore tummy, diarrheia etc.).  It happened every time, and she  was never able to
understand that what you ate (particularly something as innocent and wholesome as milk and
eggs) could cause digestive problems even though the evidence was all around her in her own
family.  As far as her generation was concerned this may have been in part due to an abhorrence of
waste perhaps enhanced by the experience of rationing in Britain during the 2nd world war.

3.      Visit the family of a Swiss friend and discover that her mother has gone to enormous
trouble to prepare a local pudding of rare delicacy and deliciousness from fresh apricots and eggs.
 This is serious trouble - A) it looks good enough to die for, B) language difficulties  - her family
speaks local dialect of Franco-German-Swiss and communication is problematical, C) risk of
international incident, D) do not wish to offend some people who after some good local wine I am
beginning to warm to.   End up eating the pie and failing to fend off a second helping - and then
spend a considerable part of the next day sitting on the toilet regretting my lack of resolution, and
the next few days feeling very sore and having to be very careful what I eat!

In the last few years I believe that (at least in Britain) there is a growing acceptance and respect for
peoples individual food needs - but I still come accross doctors who do not believe that you are
serious and take a patronising view of your diet strategy.

Matthew Kinross           tel.01203 838635         fax.01203 83848          room T220           SBE-T
Coventry University
School of the Built Environment
T Block
COVENTRY  CV1 5FB